Making an offer on a house - strategy

TINY

So...looking for some advice/insight into making an offer on a house that you really like but is really popular.

Do you stick to your simple strategy of not paying over the asking price? Do you go in higher than the asking (if the property is “offers over”)? What if your budget is £300,000 and the house you’ve found is £250,000 does this make you go bigger?

Any advice/thoughts appreciated

Need to follow through with your threats mate, if you'd torched the last one negotiating would be easier this time.
I torched it, back end was smashed of the wife but it turned into this weird “oh you did this so I’m doing that” bullshit. Thinking of going down the straight and narrow this time

So...looking for some advice/insight into making an offer on a house that you really like but is really popular.

Do you stick to your simple strategy of not paying over the asking price? Do you go in higher than the asking (if the property is “offers over”)? What if your budget is £300,000 and the house you’ve found is £250,000 does this make you go bigger?

Any advice/thoughts appreciated
It’s hard mate. I’m looking as well and there’s some desirable areas around Manchester at the moment.

Offers over is a piss take. Offered £3.5k over on a 2 bed terraced house recently in a particularly desirable location, wasn’t enough.

Good houses in nice locations are being bought subject to closure often within a week of going on the websites.

As a rule, and having made a few offers over the last few months, I only offer what I think it’s worth. I’ve seen a few where the Estate Agents have lowered the asking price by up to £10k over time, they don’t always get what they’re after so don’t worry about looking like a cheeky ****.

As to your last point, no, not for me. I can get a reasonable mortgage, however I’m not going to go to the higher end of my budget unless I absolutely have to. If possible I’d rather get something nice but not extortionately priced so I don’t get buggered with the interest rates. If I had a £30k budget for a car I wouldn’t offer £25k on a £20k valued car. Same principle applies here but it’s worse due to the interest you’ll pay back. Don’t panic and have faith that you’ll get something that ticks most of the boxes for a good price.

Also, don’t get involved in ‘what’s your final offer’ - your offer should be your offer in my opinion and this is a shit house tactic to try to pressure you in to paying more. For all you know your offer is the highest offer and could be by £10k, I’ve had a few dealings with one Agent who is bad for this, it’s definitely a ploy to try to extort you for more money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.