Making an offer on a house

depends how much you want it. when we bought ours it was "offers over" I bid ten grand over and didn't get it, shocked I upped it another 5. the agents said sorry but you were already the highest bidder but the other guy had cash. i thought who the fuck has that sort of cash ffs. this was like 12 years ago. of course it seems he didn't, once we all were brushed aside he dipped his offer telling the old dear her house was falling down and chipped the price accordingly. it offended her and she threw him out. I was back in. she rang the agent and instructed him to drop the price to the original offer over price as although the cash guy was a twat he was right that the house needed spending on. on the second viewing the old woman said you keep your 15 grand young man (I know)you'll need it for this and that.

what you may call a result.

if that girl gets yours and you really wanted it stand back a bit, it may still come your way.

stony said:
I wouldn't believe an estate agent if he told me water was wet.
This ,most of them are clueless fucks.Don't be desperate as another will come along,I normally offer 20k below the asking price.

Offer below what you can afford and it will probably get rejected. Do another offer of just under your max budget and see what happens. If it's rejected then fine go to the max if you want to but don't go over. Ever.

This will show the buyers that you are keen and they might drop the price a bit as they want to sell.

Then dry bum the girl.

Ignore any estate agent rubbish as they are a bunch of cunts on commission.

Detest the slimey fuckers,I wouldn't give them an inch to be honest.
We made an offer on a house 4 months ago asking price was £189500,offered £175000 to be told there was an offer a lot nearer on the table.I told them we were cash buyers.The EA was angleing for a deal.I refused to move and within a week he was pleading with me to up my offer,rather pathetic.We ended up buying next door and the original house is still up for sale. I'd say offer 10% less and prepare to meet halfway. failing that,ask the slimey fucker outright what is the lowest they will take. And then don't believe him.

Tuearts right boot said:
We made an offer on a house 4 months ago asking price was £189500,offered £175000 to be told there was an offer a lot nearer on the table.I told them we were cash buyers.The EA was angleing for a deal.I refused to move and within a week he was pleading with me to up my offer,rather pathetic.We ended up buying next door and the original house is still up for sale. I'd say offer 10% less and prepare to meet halfway. failing that,ask the slimey fucker outright what is the lowest they will take. And then don't believe him.

good advice . only snag is my wife said get me that bloody house! yes love.

Wondered if anyone had sold a property without going though the usual estate agent route? I've been thinking of selling but really want to avoid paying out approximately £1600 in fees. I know there's various online companies who will get me on rightmove but has anybody on here used one they'd recommend?

a little bit of cynicism here - real estate agents do a job and just like anyone expect to get paid.

regarding your offer, try to keep a little bit back in reserve but go in with an offer that won't insult the seller, and have your agent present the offer as being from a human being - "the seller is married/single.. works in... as a... has family nearby... loved x, y, z (about the house, location)" before they present the financials of your offer, and have them instill a sense of urgency into matters; maybe you're looking at other properties, or you'd like to close by a certain date, only have financing locked in until x, or whatever realistic (or real) scenario you're facing, etc etc

- if you can find out about the seller, and what might work for them (do they support City? - joking aside, ask your agent as much as possible about the seller)

don't get all emotional, and contrary to what other people are saying, the agent's not going to get paid unless they close a deal (and I don't know if this is a seller's agent or a buyer's agent, we have both in the US) but if the agent has the seller's listing it is their obligation to do the best for their seller, so you need to get in first and just like any beauty pageant do your best.

delay always breeds danger, and to protract a great design is often to ruin it, Cervantes

- and remember, if you don't get this one, there will be another.

just do your best and the rest will be in your agent's hands (and there are good ones and bad ones, just like everything else)

-- Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:56 pm --

Shellac said:
Wondered if anyone had sold a property without going though the usual estate agent route? I've been thinking of selling but really want to avoid paying out approximately £1600 in fees. I know there's various online companies who will get me on rightmove but has anybody on here used one they'd recommend?

in the US full service agents have typically taken anything from 5 to 7%, although 'discount agents' have lowered this to 1 to 3%

count yourself lucky in the UK the fees are a LOT lower!

(and when I used to list stuff in NYC - I spent three up there working in RE shortly after I left university, with the world's largest RE Sales organisation and I received training from a guy called Floyd Wickman, I listed some of my properties for 10% commission!)

I took a 10% hit on the last house i sold but also bid and got the house we wanted at 10% under also. The people buying my house though also wanted us to pay the stamp duty for them. I declined that part of the bargain

Tuearts right boot said:

that's a bit harsh, she's only trying to buy the house too - though I understand your point of view.

Any chance of a couple of pictures of this fine young first time buyer so we may form an opinion?

Make your first offer 10%-15% less than the asking price. Your first offer will be rejected but ask them to state what they would be prepared to accpet and work around that figure.

Spotting work that needs doing on your second viewing is also a way of getting the price down. New boiler? New windows? Does it need updating?

It's a game of poker. The agent is out to get the best possible price as it's more commission for them so they'll act like they are doing you favours when they'e not. You're also chain free which is a big point to mention.

We managed to get £12K knocked off the asking price when we purchased in December 2012. The sellers had already purchased anothe house and needed a quick sale hence when they chose us rather than another couple as we were not in a chain even though the other couple had offeed more money.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.