Making the most of Sunday! What you doing?

Tesco delivery , endless cleaning up of the cat and his muddy paws , ran all over the bed the little shit . Watching stuff off sky planner and the game later on the beeb

Few beers and Cyberpunk. Curry in a bit with my brother. I do enjoy Sundays :)

All that effort and they call it a snickers bar. Cunts.
Sadly the beginnings of the americanization of our scepter-ed isle by those scurrilous dogs down at Mars. The same bastardization that also occurred with our treasured Opal Fruits under the guise of a star burst. We have now slipped too far over the precipice to halt this manifestation, as Americanism infests our lifestle. Before lock-down the grand-kids would help the wife and I by taking out the trash and garbage, and in return we would reward them with z-bucks for games.

The most delicate tool ever invented is the English language and so endlessly rich subtle and diverse — a vast mechanism built from hundreds of thousands of words working together like jewelled cogs in an organised engine. To wreck that mechanism deliberately by filtering or watering down its solidity and then to teach our children to do the same with cartoons and American Shit-Shows borders on the obscene.

Listen to that jive talk at Maccie-Dees: What’s your order? Do you want fries with that? I’ve actioned it. Have a nice day. No fook off I just want a beef burger on a barm or bap please with some chips and tommie sauce, served to me with the minimal amount of cheese or fuss. You have a nice day you hear!

On a positive note Mars have action-ed a backward rebranding over the last 2 years renaming it to it's rightful birth place as a Marathon. Last year it was sold in Morrison's supermarket and record sales were made in the hundreds of thousands. That magnificent jogger Pheidippides would have turned in his grave if he was alive today!

Last edited:
Beautiful lie-in followed by bacon butties and strong coffee. Helped daughter clean out rabbit hutch then took my lad to a park which had nets and is always deserted had a lovely kickabout pretending I was joe corrigan in the snow v QPR. Best keeping I’ve ever seen.back home to make tea then will be cracking open the vin rouge watching sopranos with the missus. Only 5 episodes to go

We have to eat and I guess you don't have Asda's on your doorstep like we do. What are you going to hunt for...maybe an elk, a deer, a pronghorn, black bear, mountain lion, a wolve, a moose, pheasant, grouse, a mountain goat, a turkey, a bighorn sheep or simply whatever trots your way? Bow or rifle ?
Whitetail deer, dispatched with a rifle

It's just backwards multiplication (as you know). He needs to be able to recall his multiplication tables at will to be able to do it quickly, so maybe a little more work on multiplication is required, maybe(?). Failing that whenever you do any division simple jot down the times table of the divisor at the side of the page as an aide-memoire. Hope there aren't as many tears "next time" (if there is a next time :) )
Hmmm, I hadn't thought... Mmmm... I'll play around with that and as suggested write down the multiplication of the divisor. I'm not sure what you mean tbh but I can maybe see what you are alluding to and I'll play around with that idea. Cheers.

He's only 8 and it's hard to explain something which I do naturally having never really given it any thought.

Unfortunately there has to be a next time. Me and my partner are separated and she is schooling him Mon-Wed with me doing Thursday and Friday (which this week he didn't finish hence me trying to finish it today)

Hmmm, I hadn't thought... Mmmm... I'll play around with that and as suggested write down the multiplication of the divisor. I'm not sure what you mean tbh but I can maybe see what you are alluding to and I'll play around with that idea. Cheers.

He's only 8 and it's hard to explain something which I do naturally having never really given it any thought.

Unfortunately there has to be a next time. Me and my partner are separated and she is schooling him Mon-Wed with me doing Thursday and Friday (which this week he didn't finish hence me trying to finish it today)
8 year old, Ok, so I suppose questions like 456 / 8.

He'll need to know his 8 times tables, so if he doesn't know them off the top of his head (who does?) the first step is to go through the 8 times table and as you do this with him you write them down (I always find that doing it in a column works best, and stick it out of the way, like in the margin on the left - keeps them "in mind" but out of the way of the calculation work), so you jot down....

8 (1)
16 (2)
24 (3)
32 (4)
40 (5)
48 (6)
56 (7)
64 (8)
72 (9)
80 10)

and then write out the question...

8 into 456, 8 into 4............NOT enough, so 8 into 45.........Time to use those jotted down 8 times tables

40 is GOOD (5x8), 48 is TOO MUCH (6x8)

So........8 into 45 = 5 (40 is just below what you were looking for) with 5 left over (45 is 5 more than the 40 you've got)

So now you're left with 8 into 56..............Time to use those jotted down 8 times tables again

56 is in the list (7x8)

So..................8 into 456 = 57

Same method for all long and short division, hope it helps and hasn't complicated things further, have fun :D

Last edited:
8 year old, Ok, so I suppose questions like 456 / 8.

He'll need to know his 8 times tables, so if he doesn't know them off the top of his head (who does?) the first step is to go through the 8 times table and as you do this with him you write them down(I always find that doing it in a column works best and stick it out of the way like in the margin on the left keeps them "in mind" but out of the way of the calculation work), so you jot down....

8 (1)
16 (2)
24 (3)
32 (4)
40 (5)
48 (6)
56 (7)
64 (8)
72 (9)
80 10)

and then write out the question...

8 into 456, 8 into 4............NOT enough, so 8 into 45.........Time to use those jotted down 8 times tables

40 is GOOD (5x8), 48 is TOO MUCH (6x8)

So........8 into 45 = 5 (40 is just below what you were looking for) with 5 left over (45 is 5 more than the 40 you've got)

So now you're left with 8 into 56..............Time to use those jotted down 8 times tables again

56 is in the list (7x8)

So..................8 into 456 = 57

Same method for all long and short division, hope it helps and hasn't complicated things further, have fun :D
Just get him a slide rule for his 9th birthday, he'll enternally grateful.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.