Man City 4 Real Madrid 0:

Our greatest display ever. But for top keeping it would have been 7. A great side at its height. Ancelotti just sat there with a look of resignation on his face, he knew they could do nothing.

Absolutely peak City, that game, for me. For us to play like THAT, in a game of that magnitude, was something that might not be bettered for years, if not decades. Still watch the highlights reasonably regularly and gives me a kick every time, and in fact more so than the final now we’re a year on and the euphoria of winning is now in the past.

There’s certain games that are guaranteed to get me out of the dumps, particularly about something City-related - the Villa 3-2, QPR 3-2, Blackburn away, the ‘99 play-off final, and going even further back, 5-2 at home to Spurs in 94….. it’s difficult to see this one being bettered though, it was THAT good.

The kids of today don’t know they’re born!!

The purest football ever seen,
The peak of Pep’s great football team.
Folks tuned in from the world around,
To see Real beaten sure and sound.
Not a single pass or show of might,
Was misjudged on that special night.
Julian scored and Bernardo got two,
Dreams of Istanbul came into view.
And when the rest was said and done,
4-0, Ancelotti, your race is run.

Great night. It is one of those occasions where when people say to me "You could just watch it on the television instead of getting home at 2 in the morning" when I think, No, - what I love is the experience of being in the crowd and part of the crowd at moments like this. My abiding memory was at 3-0 the whole stadium is doing the Poznan whilst one of our group was sitting on his phone booking flights to Istanbul.

A truly special performance, from a truly special team. It must have been one of the greatest performances from an English club side in European football.

And yes; I'm biased.

The purest football ever seen,
The peak of Pep’s great football team.
Folks tuned in from the world around,
To see Real beaten sure and sound.
Not a single pass or show of might,
Was misjudged on that special night.
Julian scored and Bernardo got two,
Dreams of Istanbul came into view.
And when the rest was said and done,
4-0, Ancelotti, your race is run.
I fucking hate poetry :-)

The match that proved to everybody that we really are one of the world's greatest teams and it wasn't (isn't) just a one-off lucky run as some would have you believe. Fantastic night, just wish I could have been there.

The match that proved to everybody that we really are one of the world's greatest teams and it wasn't (isn't) just a one-off lucky run as some would have you believe. Fantastic night, just wish I could have been there.
The sad thing is, those times we got knocked out on away goals and this time we would have won on away goals - they scrap the rule and we lose on penalties instead :-(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.