Managing fitness

bobom

I'm delighted we're still in for competitions, amazing. But I'm starting to get seriously concerned about our squad getting run into the ground. KDB and Fernandinho, especially, because of the work rate and because they are pretty much unique in our squad.

I'm not really concerned about the defence - if Laporte comes in, we should have enough cover now - but the midfield just works so hard. There's a good chance we get to the end of the season, have a shot at the CL semis or final, and have nothing left in the tank.

It feels as if the strategy is to play as strong a team as possible in the league in the hope that we can sew it up as early as possible and then put out a weaker team. But add in cup runs and CL ties...

I don't really know what the alternative is. Any thoughts?

Rotate the squad and game management. There's a reason we played at about 20% for the 2nd half yesterday. Try and get games won, then put the handbrake on and conserve energy. Won't work every week, but use the opportunities when they arrive.

I'm sure the top physios and coaches in the world with all the stats at their hands pass them to the best manager in the world and they then review them with the players. I'd say we're doing everything possible to keep them at a high level with as little energy expenditure as possible.

KDB said in his post match interview that the second half was boring because they realised Cardiff had no interest in coming out to play and therefore played it at walking pace with Wed in mind.

You are right we will need legs, but I'd say if we can't pull it off then no one can.

Will help getting Aymeric in as we can then go 3 at the back which will allow us to rest an additional forward/midfield player.

Edit.....when necessary of course, not saying it will be a full switch but it will become an option again.

If Lee Mason and his assistant had done their jobs, we would have been 3 nil and makingbsubs to test players after an hour.

Will help getting Aymeric in as we can then go 3 at the back which will allow us to rest an additional forward/midfield player.

Edit.....when necessary of course, not saying it will be a full switch but it will become an option again.

If we get Fred too it will take the strain off Fernandinho, save him for the champs league.

I thought exactly same , mostly home games where its attack Vs defence, play back 3 with Walker/Zinchenko(Delph if fit) as wing backs that leaves 5 of the attackers to play up front, first half yesterday they had no idea who to pick up as no Aguero and meand can rotate or cover for injury, hopefully Jesus back in next 2 weeks

Silva, Aguero, Stirling, Sane, KDB, Bernado, Fernandihno, Gunfagon, Jesus perm any 5 from 9 , imagine 3 of the ones on this list coming on as subs too.

A minimum of 18 games left and possibly as many as 26! Already it looks like the bench on Wednesday is going to be pretty bare. We will need some luck to be able to have our best players available for most of these games that's for sure. Ironically, we're about to sign a CB when all our current CBs are fit and injury free, its our attacking players where we're starting to get thin - we may have to grind out a few 1-0s during February and hope we can have most back by the beginning of March.

Sane gets a good few weeks rest (i know not exactly rest but still not playing), Jesus hopefully back in the next few weeks, maybe Mendy in the next few months. Laporte will take the strain off the defense. Overall i think if we can get through the next 4 or 5 weeks relatively unscathed then hopefully we should be ok. Any more injuries and we are going to start to struggle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.