Manc accent

Don't under estimate the influence of the over-spill estates. I think the Manchester people who moved into the over-spill estates such as Darnhill in Heywood. Gamesley and Hattersley in Tameside and Langley in Middleton have massively change the accent of those towns/areas.

chabal said:
foetus said:
chabal said:
Sorry - tinnie yoos repeat that?
Tinnie? I'm confused...
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gorgeousity.com/bbf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gorgeousity.com/bbf/</a>
I know what a tinnie is...I believe I do anyway. Just have no idea how it fits in that sentence. Genuinely perplexed, Señor Chabal.

People tell me I have a strong accent but I don't think it's too bad. Heard worse.

However words such as Ospicul, bokkle and anyfink are nothing to do with accent just fucking annoying.

My mum and grandma are from Stalybridge. My grandma has the most stereotypical accent 'lickle', 'kekkle' ect it's quite funny to listen to. I don't think my mum's was ever that strong, just an average one but she moved down south in her 20s and apparently they all took the piss so she talks like them now. It's quite a posh accent, me and my sister wind her up about it. I'm from Stockport and my accent was too strong when I still lived there but since moving into Manchester it's got 'worse' (my family's description, not mine) I think because a lot of the people I know now are from places like Newton Heath, Gorton, Ancoats, Burnage, Wythenshawe. I like the Manchester accent. Some of the worst in the country are Burnley, Liverpool or Spalding in my opinion.

cash-wilmslow said:
never had one never had a northern accent even though born in cheshire, always sounded southern, my mums a cockney think thats what caused it , my mrs is also a cockney so no chance of losing the southern accent ,

thats because your from a posh place ;)

places like salford or stockport which aren't manchester, but are right next to them have manc accents or variations on the manc accent, i have a really strong one myself. Both of those towns are very working class in the main so of course they'll have a lot of mancunian accents. add in a lot of mancunians are leaving manchester and moving further out, for example my parents are both from longsight, but left as there jobs got better

M3 Blue said:
My mum and grandma are from Stalybridge. My grandma has the most stereotypical accent 'lickle', 'kekkle' ect it's quite funny to listen to. I don't think my mum's was ever that strong, just an average one but she moved down south in her 20s and apparently they all took the piss so she talks like them now. It's quite a posh accent, me and my sister wind her up about it. I'm from Stockport and my accent was too strong when I still lived there but since moving into Manchester it's got 'worse' (my family's description, not mine) I think because a lot of the people I know now are from places like Newton Heath, Gorton, Ancoats, Burnage, Wythenshawe. I like the Manchester accent. Some of the worst in the country are Burnley, Liverpool or Spalding in my opinion.
They talk and have an accent in Spalding?
Thought they just grunted at each other

foetus said:
chabal said:
foetus said:
Tinnie? I'm confused...
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gorgeousity.com/bbf/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gorgeousity.com/bbf/</a>
I know what a tinnie is...I believe I do anyway. Just have no idea how it fits in that sentence. Genuinely perplexed, Señor Chabal.

Bueno, si usted no sabe entonces estoy aún más confundido

I'd say mine has mellowed over 10 years away from home. My mate from Gorton has got the thickest Manc accent you've ever heard and I don't have an issue with it.

What I have found is that non Manc Blues often get quite defensive when I've met them. I was sat in between a man from Kent and a man from Hereford against Middlesbrough in the cup and both immediately began to justify why they were City without me even asking. I'm unsure if they've been getting mither from other fans but it didn't cross my mind in the slightest. I'm hardly the most threatening person you could meet...

The Republic of Ireland accent on a woman sends me weak at the knees. We've a writer at work from Galway and her speaking would keep me erect for 6 months. I'd probably pick and Irish bird above any purely because of how she speaks.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.