Manchester Central Football Club

bluekeith

Do any of the folk on here grow up with relatives who were Manchester Central fans and if so who did they support when they collapsed?

Do any of the folk on here grow up with relatives who were Manchester Central fans and if so who did they support when they collapsed?
I would assume (correctly or incorrectly) that seeing as the club was formed by a City director wanting to see a football team back in East Manchester and the initials were MCFC that they may have been seen as a City tribute club similar to how the Moston Rag Socks are to the rags.
But back then there was far less tribalism and folk did watch more than one club (football grounds were the only place you could buy beer after the pub closed at 2pm until reopening at 7pm) and maybe Billy Merideth's role at the club attracted fans from both sides too?

At one point, despite being in the Lancashire or Cheshire Combination, they were getting bigger crowds than the rags who were in the 2nd division.
It is possible that rags from Newton Heath and Clayton (home of their previous grounds) found it easier / more convenient to get to Belle Vue than Stretford for a Saturday afternoon drink!

Last edited:
I would assume (correctly or incorrectly) that seeing as the club was formed by a City director wanting to see a football team back in East Manchester and the initials were MCFC that they may have been seen as a City tribute club similar to how the Moston Rag Socks are to the rags.
But back then there was far less tribalism and folk did watch more than one club (football grounds were the only place you could buy beer after the pub closed at 2pm until reopening at 7pm) and maybe Billy Merideth's role at the club attracted fans from both sides too?

At one point, despite being in the Lancashire or Cheshire Combination, they were getting bigger crowds than the rags who were in the 2nd division.
It is possible that rags from Newton Heath and Clayton (home of their previous grounds) found it easier / more convenient to get to Belle View than Stretford for a Saturday afternoon drink!

was their ground made from old pallets?

I am sure that we joined up with our red neighbours (will we ever learn) to do away with them so that they would not take support away from us 2.

I am sure that we joined up with our red neighbours (will we ever learn) to do away with them so that they would not take support away from us 2.
Correct.
They made 3 unsuccessful attempts at joining the Football League.
Then, a quarter of the way through the 1931 / 32 season, Wigan Borough folded. Central offered to take their place and members of the Third Division North voted them in to replace Wigan Borough.
United felt threatened by Central and asked City to join them in over turning the decision. Sadly City agreed. The Football League then held a meeting and the vote to allow Central in was overturned, which pretty much was the end of Central as they realised their ambitions of joining the FL were never going to happen.
I am sure @Gary James can offer more info?

Last edited:
Correct.
They made 3 unsuccessful attempts at joining the Football League.
Then, a quarter of the way through the 1931 / 32 season, Wigan Borough folded. Central offered to take their place and members of the Third Division North voted them in to replace Wigan Borough.
United felt threatened by Central and asked City to join them in over turning the decision. Sadly City agreed. The Football League then held a meeting and the vote to allow Central in was overturned, which pretty much was the end of Central as they realised their ambitions of joining the FL were never going to happen.
I am sure @Gary James can offer more info?
Weird to think if this didn’t happen and they continued some of us could be Central fans now.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.