Manchester City fan charged with racially abusing Sterling

Race hate crimes in England and Wales increased from 63k in 2016/17 to 71k in 2017/18. The 2018/19 figures will be published in October.

It’s down to individuals to take responsibility for their own actions.

And what percentage of these race crimes were committed against White and Jewish people. ?

Brexit, Trump and stuff like that didn't increase number of racists but the rise of nationalism and right, connected with Brexit, Trum and similar stuff, did make those that were always racists to be more brave to express it publicly. When Trump says "there are many fine people" in the group of extreme right wing protesters, turned killers on that night, that is a strong support for someone to express his idiotic views publicly. Brexit per se is not racist, nor are all people who voted for it racists, far from it, but in the big scheme of society things it is the event, one of many, who brought all kind of right wing idiots to the mainstream or close to it. It's not even up to debate.

It’s increased year on year at a much higher rate than before the vote.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-48692863

Thanks. The spike I was speaking of was in the wake of the vote when there was something like a 3 or 4 fold increase over the course of a week. That article shows an increase over a longer period but not 3 or 4 fold year on year. Besides, the graph shows a significant upwards trend from 2013-14 onwards.

I stand by my comment that this incident has nothing to do with Brexit

Racism is racism regardless of who it comes from. I live in a very multicultural London and it’s not uncommon to see problems between rival immigrant groups where there’s historical issues.

Race hate crimes in England and Wales increased from 63k in 2016/17 to 71k in 2017/18. The 2018/19 figures will be published in October.

It’s down to individuals to take responsibility for their own actions.

See my post above mate. Upward trend in race hate crimes since 2013-14, big spike in the weeks following the referendum vote, and highly doubtful this individual did what they did because of Brexit.

See my post above mate. Upward trend in race hate crimes since 2013-14, big spike in the weeks following the referendum vote, and highly doubtful this individual did what they did because of Brexit.

We might never know the reasons for these incidents but I think BosnianBlue is along the right lines. The rise of intolerance with e.g. the hostile treatment of the Windrush Generation might be fuelling division in parts of society.

As I said, individuals have to be responsible for their own actions. We need all our fans to be getting behind the team next weekend as we look to bounce back against Watford.

We might never know the reasons for these incidents but I think BosnianBlue is along the right lines. The rise of intolerance with e.g. the hostile treatment of the Windrush Generation might be fuelling division in parts of society.

As I said, individuals have to be responsible for their own actions. We need all our fans to be getting behind the team next weekend as we look to bounce back against Watford.

I don’t disagree with some of the arguments about intolerance and the likes of Trump normalising it. Not sure the Windrush scandal is a good example though - if anything, there’s been an outpouring of sympathy rather than intolerance on that one.

I don’t disagree with some of the arguments about intolerance and the likes of Trump normalising it. Not sure the Windrush scandal is a good example though - if anything, there’s been an outpouring of sympathy rather than intolerance on that one.

It was part of a confirmed Government policy of creating a “hostile environment”.

I just like going to the football to watch a decent game and to have a few or several beers. I can leave the politics to the politicians. I hope these incidents are isolated and if not the the Club, Authorities and fans try to discourage repetition.

It was part of a confirmed Government policy of creating a “hostile environment”.

I just like going to the football to watch a decent game and to have a few or several beers. I can leave the politics to the politicians. I hope these incidents are isolated and if not the the Club, Authorities and fans try to discourage repetition.

Fair enough. Thought you were referring to the public reaction to it rather than the government doing it.

Yeah, me too mate - good to see you the other night.

Fair enough. Thought you were referring to the public reaction to it rather than the government doing it.

Yeah, me too mate - good to see you the other night.

As you say the public were pissed off at the treatment of the Windrush generation.

Btw Ian Baldry was on the Rags vs Berties Facebook banter page. I thought his name rang a bell but I couldn’t place him.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.