Manchester City invited to the EFL Trophy 2016/17

Manchester33

So City have been invited to participate in the EFL Trophy next season in a new, revamped format.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36725310

Having read the format and the rules I have to say I'm incredibly excited about this. It's a chance for us to see our young stars play locally at a reasonably high standard, tickets will be cheap, the majority of the games are local and should be easy to get to (and against opposition we wouldn't have played recently).

United have rejected their invitation to participate, something I hope City avoid as I'd really look forward to this. It'll be something different and might give those of us who'd like to see the local lads involved a taste of 'proper football' again.

What do you think?

So City have been invited to participate in the EFL Trophy next season in a new, revamped format.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/36725310

Having read the format and the rules I have to say I'm incredibly excited about this. It's a chance for us to see our young stars play locally at a reasonably high standard, tickets will be cheap, the majority of the games are local and should be easy to get to (and against opposition we wouldn't have played recently).

United have rejected their invitation to participate, something I hope City avoid as I'd really look forward to this. It'll be something different and might give those of us who'd like to see the local lads involved a taste of 'proper football' again.

What do you think?

I totally disagree with it - there's just no need to hijack the football league just to get our kids some experience.
Its for Football League clubs only IMO.

Well that competition has become even more worthless for league sides now.
Well it's flooded more money into it. The prize money has risen from £40k to over £1m! Added into that, some smaller clubs might benefit from higher gates (If Oldham draw City, we could comfortably take a few thousand there).

I'd argue it's a good deal for everyone involved.

Whatever the rights or wrongs, it should provide a great experience for our kids. Looking forward to the draw and seeing who we get (presuming we accept).

Well it's flooded more money into it. The prize money has risen from £40k to over £1m! Added into that, some smaller clubs might benefit from higher gates (If Oldham draw City, we could comfortably take a few thousand there).

I'd argue it's a good deal for everyone involved.
http://www.owtb.co.uk/index.php/topic/48743-new-jpt-structure/

Oldham fans are not happy bout it Very likely to get a situation where city u21s or untied u21s play arsenal u21s in the final, its meant to be the football league trophy. Pretty pointless competition for me anyway but I just hope it isn't the start of b teams in lower leagues.

Last edited:
I can't see & city v's Utd final, I know it's north v's south but there's some good league 1 clubs.

Does anyone know if it'll be split into north and south as before or not? They haven't mentioned it in that article so I doubt it will be but does anyone know for sure?

Youth players gain experience, clubs gain through higher gates, lower league players, we get more grounds to visit and the prize fund goes up.

People moan about the national team not performing, well its a radical change like this that might change that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.