Manchester City v Everton 1962-63

Good find. Same here, he left a couple of years before I started going to matches, though I remember reading about him in my dad's Pink, especially that late winner at the Swamp.

For context - Everton won the title that season, City were relegated.
The winner he scored was in the last minute ( 3 - 2 ) me and my dad went ballistic, happy days

harry dowd looked decent
Harry was a very good keeper, used to be a plumber. Malcolm Allison's team talk:-

"Right Harry, were playing Arsenal tomorrow, and they play in red and white"

Peter Dobing was a very good player, as was Alex Harley, I used to pretend to be Harley playing footie in the school playground :)

Notice Alan Oakes and Nelly in the line up.

Harry was a very good keeper, used to be a plumber. Malcolm Allison's team talk:-

"Right Harry, were playing Arsenal tomorrow, and they play in red and white"

Peter Dobing was a very good player, as was Alex Harley, I used to pretend to be Harley playing footie in the school playground :)

Notice Alan Oakes and Nelly in the line up.
Why would Allison be doing a team talk three years before he joined City?

Why would Allison be doing a team talk three years before he joined City?
Harry Dowd played played for City until 1970. Big Mal was joking in an interview about Harry being more interested in plumbing than football, and was referring to a team talk he did around 1967. It used to be on You tube. HTH.

Great find!

This game is still vivid in my memory for a number of things, including The Old Man's expectation that the Everton fans might cause trouble like the Liverpool fans did earlier in the season (it was a time of train wrecking, programme seller beating up and so on, with both sets of Scousers leading the way on these, ahem, 'pastimes'..)

But most of all I remember The Old Man telling me on the walk to the ground to look out for Everton's Alex 'The Golden Vision' Young. 'Watch and learn, son' he said. And it was good advice.. he ran the game that day from midfield as a deep-lying centre-forward and I 'played' like him for weeks and months afterwards.

A couple of years ago I was fortunate to meet Alex Young's widow at a wedding. It was lovely to see her response to my recollections of her husband and to be able to tell her just how much my 10 year old self was touched by his footballing genius.

Thanks for posting!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.