Manchester City v Gillingham 2nd Division Play Off Final 1999 23 Years Today.

That Blackburn game was peak City support. Incredible and so much happiness after the last few years.
The interesting thing was that blackburn expected an invasion of City fans so they made all their tickets only available to season ticket holders or proof of 2 local utility bills, how we got all those tickets was incredible. Brilliant day

The interesting thing was that blackburn expected an invasion of City fans so they made all their tickets only available to season ticket holders or proof of 2 local utility bills, how we got all those tickets was incredible. Brilliant day
Because it was the last day of the season and they had nowt to play for, people were selling their season tickets at inflated prices. I know a few who bought them for £30 or whatever on the morning of the match. It was the same at Bradford in 89 too.

Because it was the last day of the season and they had nowt to play for, people were selling their season tickets at inflated prices. I know a few who bought them for £30 or whatever on the morning of the match. It was the same at Bradford in 89 too.
It was still a blooming good turnout Dave. I am a FOC with a shite memory but that day I can still remember most of, despite being bladdered by 10 am

That Blackburn game was peak City support. Incredible and so much happiness after the last few years.
What was the name of that pub/hotel next to Blackburn's ground? Think it has gone now - but I stayed there the night before our match and it was full of blues that had bought tickets of Blackburn fans in the town

Very special memories

Last edited:
City fans were in Blackburn the night before buying them off Blackburn fans

Such good times, they grounded us all and made these days mean so much more. Me and my mates kicked off a song that day which was quite funny. We started singing we’re not going to Wembley, we’re not going to Wembley nar nar nar nar. Piss funny, I’ve never forgot it.

We had the best support in the country back then, and I’d argue there hasn’t been a club with support like it since.

Leeds fans have been fantastic since fans have been allowed to come back from Covid lockdowns, but they didn’t have the support we did in the third tier (Norwich had better third tier attendances than Leeds in two of Leeds’ three seasons in the third tier), especially when they are a one club city. And they never had anything like we had at Blackburn. That day was one of the peak moments of support any club has seen in this country it was fucking brillliant!

We had an ultra-Mancunian thick-skinned fanatical defiance back then. It was a cool anti-mainstream sub-culture to be a City fan. We don’t seem to have that these days. Which is a real shame because we could still have that cool anti-mainstream sub-culture feel to our support with all the UEFA/Cartel/media shit we face these days if we really pushed it but I think the club’s yearning for the opposite dilutes and overrides it (and prices it out!) and also a lot of our fans seem thin-skinned and brow beaten by all the UEFA/Cartel/media shit we face these days instead of standing defiantly tall against it.

Imagine if we had today’s club and team but the support of that era…

AD743967-BC2A-4E0F-AD47-5059F7672549.jpeg

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.