Manchester City v Gillingham 2nd Division Play Off Final 1999 23 Years Today.

Weaver's celebration must be up there with one of the most toe curlingly awful ones.

Dickov's was excellent.
What. Why. He was a young lad who has just won us promotion and celebrated like a loon. He was caught up in an emotional moment and didn’t try to control his emotions or try an act cool. Just went berserk.

I can’t remember where I heard it or who told me but I recall that the story went that by the time he was dragged down by Morrison he was completely fucked and was struggling to breath under the bundle that took place.
Imagine that. That would have shit all over Adam’s and that Arsenal broken shoulder stuff.

Weaver's celebration must be up there with one of the most toe curlingly awful ones.

Dickov's was excellent.

Malg’s post must be up there with one of the most toe curlingly awful ones ;)

Just a spare of the moment celebration from a young lad. You probably put more thought into that comment then he did in that moment.

It was some journey to end up there from where we were as a club in the late 70s n’all.

We’d finished 2nd in the league in 1977, averaging over 40,000 gates (third only to United and Liverpool in that era), and we’d won 6 trophies in a decade and should have gone on to win the UEFA Cup in ’79. We were one of the top handful of clubs in the country.

Then came Swales and decades of poor leadership and mismanagement, and we ended up there in the third tier of English football.

Swales was appointed chairman in 1973. In the seventies we would have retained the European cup winners cup in 1971 if we hadn't been hit by injuries to key players in the semi final against Chelsea. We should have won the title in 1972 and 1977 and league cup in 1974 when we battered Wolves but were thwarted by a rookie Gary Pierce in goal. We had some great sides but the return of Allison to dismantle one and spend millions on inferior players was the beginning of our dark period.

Was near Fort William on the banks of Loch Linnhe,struggling to listen with the poor radio reception, couldn't make out what exactly was going on. When the penny finally dropped me and my good lady jumping about shouting and generally behaving like loons, getting abuse from all the other tourists.

Just on sky now.

How did we not get a penalty for handball in the opening minute. Literally flicked the ball with his arm.

We had the best support in the country back then, and I’d argue there hasn’t been a club with support like it since.

Leeds fans have been fantastic since fans have been allowed to come back from Covid lockdowns, but they didn’t have the support we did in the third tier (Norwich had better third tier attendances than Leeds in two of Leeds’ three seasons in the third tier), especially when they are a one club city. And they never had anything like we had at Blackburn. That day was one of the peak moments of support any club has seen in this country it was fucking brillliant!

We had an ultra-Mancunian thick-skinned fanatical defiance back then. It was a cool anti-mainstream sub-culture to be a City fan. We don’t seem to have that these days. Which is a real shame because we could still have that cool anti-mainstream sub-culture feel to our support with all the UEFA/Cartel/media shit we face these days if we really pushed it but I think the club’s yearning for the opposite dilutes and overrides it (and prices it out!) and also a lot of our fans seem thin-skinned and brow beaten by all the UEFA/Cartel/media shit we face these days instead of standing defiantly tall against it.

Imagine if we had today’s club and team but the support of that era…

View attachment 47625
i agree with everything written here mate, they were great times, the camaraderie we all shared, our humour, the madness of in particular the 98/99 & 99/2000 seasons were somethings else, till my last breath i’ll remember those days & our part of it with a wry smile & a sense of despite how great our success is now & we don’t half deserve it & enjoy it, we sadly won’t experience what it was to be a blue at all those away grounds away in those leagues & at maine road and our beloved pubs anymore sadly,
there’s many ways we could try to describe it to those who weren’t lucky enough to be a part of it there was more than a hint of danger about being a blue then, we revelled in it to a certain extent, the atmosphere on match days were something else, we were the opposite of the sanitised disneyland nonsense from across the road, we were real, we were gritty, if that lot were the posh snobs holding a dinner party we were the roughnecks gatecrashing the gaff & nicking the booze from the fridge,
But no words would ever fully do it justice but yours come as close to hitting the nail on the head. you’ve made me reminisce about the good/bad old days mate.

Lucky (or unlucky) that my dad took me in early 90's to start following City. Been to all of the big ones since, includes York, but this alongside Ewood Park year after, my best memories of being a City fan

Because it was the last day of the season and they had nowt to play for, people were selling their season tickets at inflated prices. I know a few who bought them for £30 or whatever on the morning of the match. It was the same at Bradford in 89 too.
Yeah got mine off one of their season ticket holders.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.