Manchester City vs Liverpool pre-match thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
clattenberg is about the best of a bad bunch. he'l take no shit from the liverpool players looks like we may get a fair game on sunday

Yes, happy with Clatters. He's OK.<br /><br />-- Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:20 pm --<br /><br />
meher said:
Wasn't it Clattenberg who gave them 3 penalties against united?

To be fair, he should have given 3. 2 were solid and then there was the Vidic sending off, which he got wrong. But he missed another pen, so they did indeed deserve 3.

Chippy_boy said:
Of course we expect Klanfield to be a cauldron and our players need to rise to the occasion. But that said, I think this game is won, drawn or lost depending on how Pellegrini sets us up.

If we play a high line with Vinny making tackles on the half way line as he tends to, Gerard will murder us with balls over the top to Sterling or Sturridge both of who have real pace and will cause MDM and Zabba no end of problems.

For me, we need to sit a little deeper and I'd fill the resulting gap with an extra midfield player, Garcia. I'd play a back four with Clichy for his speed and I'd have either Garcia or Fern sitting deep, probably Fern. So 4-1-4-1

This would mean we'd have to lose Navas, but honestly that's a small sacrifice for the huge gain of the extra holding midfield player and allowing Kompany and MDM to sit back a little. I still think we have more than enough firepower to get goals with Yaya, Nasri, Silva and Aguero running at them, especially with Yaya have the freedom to go forward some more. It also de-risks it a bit because we are not dependent on Yaya doing so much defending, which as we know, sometimes he can't be arsed with.

If we need to score goals later on, we could bring on Dzeko for Aguero and Jovetic for Garcia and go 4-4-2. And perhaps Navas' fresh legs for Nasri as they tire.

i think your spot on regarding the high line. Mdm against Suarez and sturridge over the top is very risky. The very reason we lost to villa was our inability to deal with long balls over the top. We also seen mdm chasing a lost cause against messi through trying to hold a high line. How ever i think we have got a lot better at this tactic from early on in the season when the players weren't truly comfortable with it. For me to play this way you have to be on it 100 percent and hit Gerrard fast and consistently. Make him lose his touch and composure.

Just been over to look at the Liverpool thread on redcafe

According to them we could be 3-0 down after 30 minutes

Another poster suggested that we don't have the bottle for the big occasion, especially away from home

theres only one carlito said:
Chippy_boy said:
Of course we expect Klanfield to be a cauldron and our players need to rise to the occasion. But that said, I think this game is won, drawn or lost depending on how Pellegrini sets us up.

If we play a high line with Vinny making tackles on the half way line as he tends to, Gerard will murder us with balls over the top to Sterling or Sturridge both of who have real pace and will cause MDM and Zabba no end of problems.

For me, we need to sit a little deeper and I'd fill the resulting gap with an extra midfield player, Garcia. I'd play a back four with Clichy for his speed and I'd have either Garcia or Fern sitting deep, probably Fern. So 4-1-4-1

This would mean we'd have to lose Navas, but honestly that's a small sacrifice for the huge gain of the extra holding midfield player and allowing Kompany and MDM to sit back a little. I still think we have more than enough firepower to get goals with Yaya, Nasri, Silva and Aguero running at them, especially with Yaya have the freedom to go forward some more. It also de-risks it a bit because we are not dependent on Yaya doing so much defending, which as we know, sometimes he can't be arsed with.

If we need to score goals later on, we could bring on Dzeko for Aguero and Jovetic for Garcia and go 4-4-2. And perhaps Navas' fresh legs for Nasri as they tire.

i think your spot on regarding the high line. Mdm against Suarez and sturridge over the top is very risky. The very reason we lost to villa was our inability to deal with long balls over the top. We also seen mdm chasing a lost cause against messi through trying to hold a high line. How ever i think we have got a lot better at this tactic from early on in the season when the players weren't truly comfortable with it. For me to play this way you have to be on it 100 percent and hit Gerrard fast and consistently. Make him lose his touch and composure.

It's coaching 101 isn't it, that you have to pressure the man on the ball if your defenders are going to step up. That said, the starfish is too good and it's way too risky imho. I'd much rather we just sat a bit deeper and played an extra holding mid to fill the gap.

Clattenburk is ok however he's not perfect

In 2007, three years after his Premier League debut, Clattenburg came in for arguably his fiercest criticism of his refereeing following a Merseyside derby between Everton and Liverpool. The first notable incident involving Clattenburg was the award of a penalty kick for an apparent professional foul by Everton's Tony Hibbert on Liverpool's Steven Gerrard. Clattenburg initially took out his yellow card, seemingly to book Hibbert, but after an interaction, albeit brief, with Gerrard, Clattenburg changed his mind and showed Hibbert a red card.[26] He later elected not to dismiss Dirk Kuyt for a waist-high lunge at Phil Neville. One final controversy arose when he declined Everton appeals for a penalty in the third minute of injury time, with the score at 1–2, when Jamie Carragher appeared to foul Joleon Lescott in the Liverpool penalty area.[28][29] Clattenburg was not appointed to referee another Everton match until 2012.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.