Manchester City & Welsh players

I like & follow Welsh football due to having a brief spell at Llandudno & taking a huge interest in TNS ever since they turned up at the Etihad so I found this a decent read. My favourite from the list would probably be Billy Meredith purely based on who he was & what he did as a player but my favourite Welsh City player has to be Craig Bellamy, a brilliant player on his day filled with passion. I also remember a young lad who was decent in our reserve teams but never made an impact I think his name was Rhys Day? I expected him to be a success but he fell away.

(Would just like to add that my liking of Welsh football doesn't include the national team haha)

I like & follow Welsh football due to having a brief spell at Llandudno & taking a huge interest in TNS ever since they turned up at the Etihad so I found this a decent read. My favourite from the list would probably be Billy Meredith purely based on who he was & what he did as a player but my favourite Welsh City player has to be Craig Bellamy, a brilliant player on his day filled with passion. I also remember a young lad who was decent in our reserve teams but never made an impact I think his name was Rhys Day? I expected him to be a success but he fell away.

(Would just like to add that my liking of Welsh football doesn't include the national team haha)
haha fair enough!

Yes I thought highly of Rhys Day too - remember going to see City in the Youth Cup, late nineties at Bradford City, we won 8-0 I think, SWP and Leon Mike running riot. Rhys was in defence. It was a bloody freezing night, We left just after half time when goal number 6 went in and went for a curry and beers it was that cold (we were with a Bradford fan friend who really didn't want to be there any longer!)
Got talking to a bloke at half time who said he had missed the first couple of goals as he had travelled from South Wales and had got stuck in various traffic jams. On congratulating him on such a great journey to watch the youth team, he proudly said he had come to see his lad Rhys Day play!

I guess from the late 60's until Bellamy, the only Welsh (international) players I can think of (and I haven't read this article above yet) is Wynn Davies, David Phillips, Gordon Davies, Dibble and Margetson.

Of course it could have been more if Ryan Wilson (Giggs) and Chris Coleman had stuck with our youth teams and progressed from there!

Last edited:
Wyn Davies should get a mention - played for both us and United in the early seventies.
he played the majority of his career at Bolton amd Newcastle so i thought that he would get a mention if i ever wrote about those clubs. but i get your point

Yes I thought highly of Rhys Day too - remember going to see City in the Youth Cup, late nineties at Bradford City, we won 8-0 I think, SWP and Leon Mike running riot. Rhys was in defence. It was a bloody freezing night, We left just after half time when goal number 6 went in and went for a curry and beers it was that cold (we were with a Bradford fan friend who really didn't want to be there any longer!)
Got talking to a bloke at half time who said he had missed the first couple of goals as he had travelled from South Wales and had got stuck in various traffic jams. On congratulating him on such a great journey to watch the youth team, he proudly said he had come to see his lad Rhys Day play!

I guess from the late 60's until Bellamy, the only Welsh (international) players I can think of (and I haven't read this article above yet) is Wynn Davies, David Phillips, Gordon Davies, Dibble and Margetson.

Of course it could have been more if Ryan Wilson (Giggs) and Chris Coleman had stuck with our youth teams and progressed from there!

I know rhys days father quite well as his dad Kevin is a regular in the power tool company I work for. Rhys is from the town that I now live in. I remember him vaguely when he was a youth player at Cardiff city. He was very gifted and it was quite big news when man city came in for him. Even though city were nowhere the club they are now!! We used to chat about rhys going up to city and his dad was quite proud, even though he was a united fan himself! Shame it never worked out for him.
His brother ryan isn't a too shabby professional snooker player either!

I know rhys days father quite well as his dad Kevin is a regular in the power tool company I work for. Rhys is from the town that I now live in. I remember him vaguely when he was a youth player at Cardiff city. He was very gifted and it was quite big news when man city came in for him. Even though city were nowhere the club they are now!! We used to chat about rhys going up to city and his dad was quite proud, even though he was a united fan himself! Shame it never worked out for him.
His brother ryan isn't a too shabby professional snooker player either!
being at sports must run in the family!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.