Manchester in the 1960s

Lewis's is now Primark !...
What's Primark ?

As a kid I used to go to see Father Christmas @ Lewis’s ! Also remember getting the bus from Piccadilly bus station to Belle Vue - happy days - probably early 70’s.

SWNS_HINDLEY_ARCHIVE_05.jpg

Just looking for Pics to post and found this chilling moment
Fuck me this could have been me, I lived in Laburnum Rd the street on the other side of the field and climbed the fence daily into Ryder Brow playing field
Picture taken by Ian Brady in the 60's I would have been 12 in 1965

Spent a fair bit of time when I was a kid in Piccadilly bus station as my dad was a driver and I used to go when him on school holidays or when he did the football special to Maine Road. There was a flight of stairs going up in the station which led to the drivers canteen where we used to have dinnerYou could also get the 57 from Canon St to Blackley and that would go though Riverdale, Chapel Lane(where I lived) Plant Hill Road(my high school) and to the Bankhouse estate, it would then loop back round and back into town

use to get off at diamonds and walk up heath bank road

I would love to have been able to step back and visit some of the pubs and streets demolished to make way for the disgusting Arndale Centre. The Arndale ruined the centre of Manchester and still does.

The Thactched House was one such pub. The Blue Boar, below, also.

Manchester has come on a lot but the planners are still knocking pubs down for more apartment blocks. The Ducie Bridge and The lovely Smiths Arms behind the Express to name two.

thatched-house.jpg

Blue Boar Hotel, Blue Boar Court, where the Arndale now stands.

blue+boar.jpg

The Osbourne - One of my pre match Maine Road bars

webmedia-6.jpg

The Issac Newton or Seftons attached to the Arndale. Closed after the bomb.

isaac-newton.jpg

The Rovers Return, Shudehill

Rovers+Return+b&w.jpg

Spent a fair bit of time when I was a kid in Piccadilly bus station as my dad was a driver and I used to go when him on school holidays or when he did the football special to Maine Road. There was a flight of stairs going up in the station which led to the drivers canteen where we used to have dinnerYou could also get the 57 from Canon St to Blackley and that would go though Riverdale, Chapel Lane(where I lived) Plant Hill Road(my high school) and to the Bankhouse estate, it would then loop back round and back into town

Used to ref a team that played on Plant Hill Park - the Gorton and District Sunday League. Must have been the District bit and not much of the Gorton!

SWNS_HINDLEY_ARCHIVE_05.jpg

Just looking for Pics to post and found this chilling moment
Fuck me this could have been me, I lived in Laburnum Rd the street on the other side of the field and climbed the fence daily into Ryder Brow playing field
Picture taken by Ian Brady in the 60's I would have been 12 in 1965
My school playing pitch,I would have been 13.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.