Manchester Low Emission Zone

It may be best to sell your old van and put the money down on a compliant one. If it costs you £20k you can claim 40% capital allowances (depreciation) in the first year against tax and 25% annually thereafter. You save on the £10/day charge too. Plus the newer van should be cheaper to run and maintain. Granted, you could still be worse off overall but you’re deffo going to be worse off with the LEZ charges if you do nowt anyway. As soon as the van is paid for it’s happy days.
I have a 15 plate transporter in good nick that I have had for 5 years , I am 62 it would of seen me through to retirement . Doubt I could afford to buy the equivalent electric van & own it .
never really fancied leasing .

It's alright when I'm working in town.
But sometimes I work away and use Trinity way. How does it affect people who live near town?
It affects everyone within greater Manchester and anyone coming in who isnt compliant I.e a euro 6 van, private cars aren’t affected YET!

All this whining. What do people suggest you do? Air quality in Manchester is p1ss poor, mostly caused by congestion. Buses are slow because they are being held up by people who don’t really need to use their car/van etc but do. My experience of public transport is generally good just a bit slow so I factor in the xtra time to take it. We are all aware that global warming is a factor then how do you suggest we combat it? More people should be walking/cycling etc not just because of global warming etc but because it is healthier - we have one of the most obese populations in the world. You have to start somewhere. Get vehicles off the road is a start, makes it safer to cycle and walk. You have to start somewhere.
You can check the air quality in your area, in fact since this was imposed 4 years ago air quality has vastly improved in fact it’s below the levels it should be for the need of the tax, the reason Burnham hasnt targeted private cars is he knows he would be voted out in this years elections. It’s divide and conquer, do businesses first then private next. He’s said he wont bring cars into it but if he’s not in charge the next person might. There are many cars polluting far worse than newer vans but that wouldn’t be a vote winner. The man in a van is screwed, there is no conversion from Euro 5 to 6 so the grant thing is bollocks, £5k towards a £40k van and the part ex on your own can will be peanuts as it’s worthless. There was an ice cream guy with 8 vans on tv it’s £24k a year he needs to find or get he’s vans at £90k each!
Burnham himself said they’d not publicised it very well ( no shit Sherlock) that why there is an outcry, Leeds got it right follow their example.
2 all over GM

Anyone saying put the cost of your van against a new van, blah blah, save some tax blah…

well whatever way you look at it i have a van that is bought and paid for, whether i pay the new tax (because thats what it is) , lease a vehicle or get funding for a new van, im looking at an increase of £3k per year on my overheads.
Im a one man band. I can swallow some if that cost, but most will have to go on to cost of jobs, i.e the customers will have to pay it.

so if you think owning a van wont affect u, it will, youll be paying more for goods n services.

on another note, today i drive from poynton (not in the CAZ ) to disley (also not in the CAZ ) to drop something off for my MIL as i have a van.
as i had to drive through High Lane (which is in the CAZ ) it would have cost me £10 for that mile journey through high lane.
so when these charges come in ill drive poynton, pott shrigley, then over the tops to higher disley and into disley. Adding probs 5 mile on to my trip and 15 mins. 5 more miles of me polluting the atmosphere.

also drive through woodford today, that well known hot bed of pollution and saw all the signs and cameras go up.

its a tax. Pure and simple

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.