Manchester Met uni

Cheadle_hulmeBlue

Ive recently got an offer to study illustration, but am really struggling to decide whether to go there or not.

what are peoples opinion of this course if possible and of manchester met as a uni.

any advice would be much appreciated

Would you be on the All Saints Campus?

It's a good Uni, trust me. The Library and Hub facilities are pretty good and there's certainly no sense of snobbery that you get from UoM.

Popolinos, the Pizza place is also pretty good, :P

Seosa said:

It's a good Uni, trust me. The Library and Hub facilities are pretty good and there's certainly no sense of snobbery that you get from UoM.

yep all saints campus- the new school of art building which is pretty impressive.
Just very undecided at the mo, a lot of people have a perception that its shit. Tbf based on other courses imo it is, but the illustration course is great.

One thing im worried about is whether id actually be taught by the teachers and get that one to one personal help, to help and develop me and the way i work. Is it a case of huge classes where you barely see teachers ??

yeah those posh UoM bastards ;).

Whats your situation? Will it be f/t undergrad?

Do you have any other offers?

I think met has a good reputation for the arts, but for other subjects, less so. I think that kind of brings down its perception nationwide.

I think it depends on whether its a full course, if you have the option to stay away from home etc.

roaminblue said:

I think met has a good reputation for the arts, but for other subjects, less so. I think that kind of brings down its perception nationwide.

I think it depends on whether its a full course, if you have the option to stay away from home etc.

it would be full time undergraduate, im currently on a foundation course.

Got other offers from salford and stockport college ( which tbf is pretty good course wise)

Ive decided to stay at home as I just dont think id like the whole stay away experience

man met has a great reputation in terms of the arts,but it does seem like they have ignored the other subjects, with a lot of run down buildings and such.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
roaminblue said:

True. The new law building takes the piss. Our building has concrete block walls, every room the same. Very 70s

Got other offers from salford and stockport college ( which tbf is pretty good course wise)

Ive decided to stay at home as I just dont think id like the whole stay away experience

man met has a great reputation in terms of the arts,but it does seem like they have ignored the other subjects, with a lot of run down buildings and such.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:
Seosa said:

yep all saints campus- the new school of art building which is pretty impressive.
Just very undecided at the mo, a lot of people have a perception that its shit. Tbf based on other courses imo it is, but the illustration course is great.

One thing im worried about is whether id actually be taught by the teachers and get that one to one personal help, to help and develop me and the way i work. Is it a case of huge classes where you barely see teachers ??

yeah those posh UoM bastards ;).

Each course has a PDP, a Personal Development Plan. Lecturers are easy to get in touch with, trust me.

Cheadle_hulmeBlue said:

Out of those three, I'd certainly chose the Met then, I think.

However, I'd strongly suggest reconsidering staying away from home, there are some excellent universities out there for your subject.

I stayed away for my first degree, and it was some of the best times I've ever had.

If you reconsider, I think Goldsmiths has a good reputation.

That said, I am predominantly going off overall reputation, Art could not be further removed from what I currently study.

However, the overall reputation will have some effect on how your course is perceived in the future, but I wouldn't have thought it would be too strong in your field; it will be much easier to tell your talent in something like illustration, than something more theoretical.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.