Manchester public transport vision

Better image for @quiet_riot

gm-ournetwork.jpg
23lnk9v.jpg

The next tramline, currently being built, goes to the Trafford centre. 1-2 more years iirc

Edit 2020 https://tfgm.com/trafford-park-line

OK. That’s handy. I was always limited for work in Manchester as I don’t drive. It was town or nothing.

On a side note, does anyone ever get their ticket checked on the tram? I used it across three days in January and didn’t get asked once. The inspectors even got on at one point. Fuck knows how many people must dodge.

They need to sort out the public transport we have now. The trains are never on time and are old as anything. The buses are the same.

Trying to get a bus from kingsway is impossible.

Manchester Mayor Andy Burnham, from Merseyside, has outlined his vision for a "London style" public transport network.

The plan includes new east-west orbital bus links; tram extensions to Stalybridge; Port Salford and Middleton; plus ‘tram trains’ to Hale, Warrington, Gorton and Glossop.

There's a map thing which is supposed to be done by 2029, but it's such poor resolution I can't tell what each colour is for.
5_Map1.jpg

It also includes franchising of bus routes, which would become the first city region outside London to make use of new powers under the Bus Services Act 2017 to take control of regulating its buses.

Campaigners say that, since deregulation of the network in 1986, bus operators have "cherry-picked" the most profitable routes and leave some communities underserved.

Also mooted is an Oyster-card style system.

Thoughts?

Can we have an under ground system to make it work like London have

Can we have an under ground system to make it work like London have
If they’d started after the bomb, then maybe, but too much (old/derelict) has been built on since then. It’s cheaper and easier to cut/cover than dig tunnels. Hence why crossrail in London is so exhorbitant.
Trams are the cheapest and quickest way to get a ‘clean’ public transport system running in an old city... unless you’re say China and just shift everyone out of the way.

Iirc looking at the HS2 plans .. it involves a tunnel from Manchester airport area through to the city centre...

Anything involving Andy Burnham I should take with a pinch of salt.

When I complained about the Metrolink service on a match day I received the typical political waffle of a reply, no chance he can improve the City's transport system.

Reactions: mat
Is he renationalising the local buses?

If not it's all Bullshit.

It's a "vision". They'll talk about it in very vague terms for a month or so then they'll go very quiet until they have another "vision" in five years time.
Rinse and repeat.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.