Manchester Star Ale.

Helmet Cole

Normally I wouldn't Touch J.W. Lees produce on account of it being utter piss - and I used to cheerfully have a sesh on Holts so I'm not a snob. However I just picked up 4 bottles of 'Manchester Star' on account of it being 7.3% and it's not only proper tramp juice, but a lovely tipple to boot!
Any more love out there for this tipple?

I had a similar downer on Lee's beers for decades. But have found it needs to be kept in top form, otherwise it is rank. However, if ever near either The Elizabethan in Heaton Moor, try it (Manager Hughie, in there JW Lee's top bloke) or The Blue Pitts in Castleton.....constantly the winner of best kept cellar....was in on Friday just gone....great pint.

Luvverly stuff.Like the OP I don't normally care for Lees beers but Manchester Star is well named.

MCFCTrick said:
I had a similar downer on Lee's beers for decades. But have found it needs to be kept in top form, otherwise it is rank. However, if ever near either The Elizabethan in Heaton Moor, try it (Manager Hughie, in there JW Lee's top bloke) or The Blue Pitts in Castleton.....constantly the winner of best kept cellar....was in on Friday just gone....great pint.
Hughie is a truly superb manager. That place was, incredibly, taking only 6 grand a week when he took over. JWLees have turned into a pretty competent pub retailer in recent years, which is a good thing as their beer is, as others have euphemistically said, an acquired taste.

The viral promo for Manchester Star Ale is mildly amusing, but as I'm in the car on the way to Wembley on an iPad I'm struggling to embed it.<br /><br />-- 02 Mar 2014, 11:15 --<br /><br />
MCFCTrick said:
Hughie is a truly superb manager. That place was, incredibly, taking only 6 grand a week when he took over. JWLees have turned into a pretty competent pub retailer in recent years, which is a good thing as their beer is, as others have euphemitically said, an acquired taste.

The viral promo for Manchester Star Ale is mildly amusing, but as I'm in the car on the way to Wembley on an iPad I'm struggling to embed it.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
MCFCTrick said:
Hughie is a truly superb manager. That place was, incredibly, taking only 6 grand a week when he took over. JWLees have turned into a pretty competent pub retailer in recent years, which is a good thing as their beer is, as others have euphemistically said, an acquired taste.

The viral promo for Manchester Star Ale is mildly amusing, but as I'm in the car on the way to Wembley on an iPad I'm struggling to embed it.

-- 02 Mar 2014, 11:15 --

MCFCTrick said:
Hughie is a truly superb manager. That place was, incredibly, taking only 6 grand a week when he took over. JWLees have turned into a pretty competent pub retailer in recent years, which is a good thing as their beer is, as others have euphemitically said, an acquired taste.

Hughie took over our local, Success To The Plough after it had a major refurb, before moving to where he is now..... place not been as good since he left.
My missus has tried to poach him for her pubs, but he is happy there with Lees.... good luck to him....

I'll have to track this one down. 7.2% is quite strong for an ale so should be interesting. I've been acquiring a taste for Henry Weston's vintage cider of late which is 8.2% but is sparkly and so I think a flatter 7.2% ale will probably seem stronger.

I agree with everyone about JW Lees. What on earth is that 'eggy' smell that hovers over the pint ? Smells like somebody has let one go.

you all, will eventually mature,grow,expand your tastes and realise what piss you've been drinking and shite you've been talking.all hail the real ale.

I will hunt it out and give it a go ,it will have to be good to beat my local favourite Robbies Old Tom

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.