Mancini Football Management Skills

Freestyler

Could Mancini improve our team ability wise, WITHOUT spending more money?

Basically could he do a David Moyes, and mould us into a real footballing side. Also like what the Dortmund manager has done, or does he need funds to improve the team?

this will be intriguing...

a simple yes or no, fire away...

Well he's done it before with no money at Lazio so probably. The expectations and structure of a top club is different though. If Moyes went to United he'd buy £10million+ players regularly for example even though he has made Everton quite good without them.

BillyShears said:
Haha. You're kidding right ?

Well he can obviously mould us into a better team than at current, as look at the first half of last season.

But he is too emotional, and not a great man manager, so I don't think he will ever be a man to make the sum more than the individual parts. And currently, our sum is a lot less than the individual parts. Last year they were about right at the start of the season, not anymore.

Freestyler said:
Could Mancini improve our team ability wise, WITHOUT spending more money?

Basically could he do a David Moyes, and mould us into a real footballing side. Also like what the Dortmund manager has done, or does he need funds to improve the team?

this will be intriguing...

a simple yes or no, fire away...

I'm sure there is a thread about Mancini's management skills somewhere else on bluemoon but trying to find it could be difficult as it is a subject very rarely discussed.

I for one am glad someone has brought this up, is our manager any good? never crossed my mind recently, will ponder this at length

dancity19 said:
BillyShears said:
Haha. You're kidding right ?

Well he can obviously mould us into a better team than at current, as look at the first half of last season.

But he is too emotional, and not a great man manager, so I don't think he will ever be a man to make the sum more than the individual parts. And currently, our sum is a lot less than the individual parts. Last year they were about right at the start of the season, not anymore.

The question I think the OP is asking is answered in your second paragraph. We have never been better than the sum of our parts under Mancini. In and of itself that's not a terrible thing because of the quality of players we have at our disposal. However it isn't really a ringing endorsement of his relative merits as a manager.

It's interesting that his tenure at Lazio is used as proof of this ability. They did sell their star players in the two seasons he was there, however he was only there two seasons and then jumped ship to join at the time spending happy Inter Milan. Had he stayed their and kept them competitive there might be an argument that it proves he can do it on a shoe string - but as it stands we just don't know because of how short his tenure there was, and how much of a state of flux the club were in.

Manchester City Football Club Premier League Champions 2011/2012

Fucking ridiculous this kind of shit is being regurgitated in the November after winning the league despite being unbeaten in the division.

Some people just never learn. Keep going on about the sum of parts and Mancini will keep delivering trophies.

jay_mcfc said:
Manchester City Football Club Premier League Champions 2011/2012

Fucking ridiculous this kind of shit is being regurgitated in the November after winning the league despite being unbeaten in the division.

Some people just never learn. Keep going on about the sum of parts and Mancini will keep delivering trophies.

just wondering. cause imo we won it on team strength not under man management.

DD's post on here.. perfection.

My stance on Mancini has been known for a couple of years. I keep trying to give him the benefit doubt but I always end up going back to my original stance.

The question people need to debate is whether we have won things because of him or in spite of him.

My opinion is that a really good manager makes the total better than the sum of the parts. Jurgen Klopp at Dortmund would be a very good example of someone who built a team up on very little money, moulded together an excellent side of unproven names to become back to back champions and became a team that looks sure to qualify at our expense. Indeed, one that taught us a footballing lesson despite those players having as little Champions League experience as City the club has, which seems to be the staple excuse for us round these parts.

Roberto Mancini's team is less than the sum of the parts in my eyes. Certainly this season. A really good manager would have seen us win the league by a good few points last season, without the need for the United thowaway, because his tactical buffoonery on the road cost us many points. Similarly, that tactical buffoonery is costing us more points and masses of goals this year. I would also suggest that we would have won the Carling Cup too last year with another manager at the helm.

Our squad last season was by far and away the best in the league yet it so nearly ended up with nothing. That was because he changed his tactics away from home. It should never have been that way. Far too often we respect lesser opposition too much. Instead of going for the throat when the opponents are on the rack, we sit back, stroll around and play a containing game when the chances are that we'd have wrapped the game up playing to our attacking players strengths. This team would be excellent if it was allowed to express itself but it isn't.

This season there will be even less of an excuse for those tactics because everything was in place and we don't have to contend with the first time nerves.

It would be folly to get rid of Mancini now but I would suggest that a trophyless year may well see searching questions asked at the top, especially if we don't really challenge for the title.

I think that the players look lost out there at the moment, and I'm getting vibes from the players that they just don't understand what the manager is trying to do at all.

It has always been my opinion that it was the quality of the players that won us the title in spite of the leadership rather than because of it.

I think this unbeaten start papers over a lot of cracks. Tactically Mancini baffles me on a weekly basis. Yeah he's won an FA Cup in first but Portsmouth have won it for fucks sake without the same level of investment that Mancini has had.

Yeah he's also won the premier league but again this was more down to united bottling it than a Mancini masterstroke. We capitulated against the arsenal side in a must win game to go 8 pts behind.

He then played the same team for 6 consecutive league games and we won all 6, at the min he doesn't even play the same back 4 for 2 games in a row let alone the same team.

All this is before we even mention ours champions league campaigns. Yes they have been rough groups but I honestly believe that Mancini has single handedly caused our failure in Europe with extremely popes tactics.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.