Mangala joins Valencia on a Permanent deal

I generally agree with your defence of Mangala. Quite a lot of City fans forget that he and Demichelis kept nearly 20 consecutive clean sheets when starting together across 2014 and 2015. He was always nervous and definitely needed to be improved upon when Pep came in, but that last season under Pellegrini was a bad time to be a City centre-back. Kompany was never fit, Demichelis was way past it, Otamendi was a nightmare, so it's no surprise that Mangala suffered too. I think his role in our 17/18 Centurions season is often too easily overlooked as well.

But your Richard Dunne comments are blasphemous. Between 2004 and 2007 when the club was almost always on the brink of being relegated he was the one constant who kept us up over the course of each season. Players like David James, Joey Barton, and Emila Mpenza took the big moments, but there was a reason he scored so many own goals and got so many red cards: he was always in the right place, even if it wasn't always at the right time. I can confidently say that without him and Distin we'd have collapsed into nothing - in 2004, 2006 and 2007 (when we finished 16th, 15th, and 14th) we either had the best defence or the best goal difference in the bottom half, and that was mostly down to Dunney.
Dunney Monster is a legend. My reference to him was purely was he any better than Mangala? It's hard to compare because of the different circumstances, but my main point is that when the revolution commenced, Dunne wasn't deemed sufficiently good enough & was jettisoned.

Would Mangala have performed in the mid 2000s? Would Dunne have performed under Pellegrini? Both periods were challenging times for us, but just to be clear I was making a comparison between both players.... One considered a legend, the other considered a car crash. That's why I question where this entitled, Raggish attitude of some City fans has come from.

It's interesting that both the BBC & Sky are reporting his fee when he joined us as £32 million rather than the massively inflated £48(?) million that they all jumped on when Footy Leaks(?) found simple maths difficult.

Free transfer apparently. Has to be one of the worst signings we've ever made. Awful defender, but had a good attitude. At least we've got rid of his wages.

This will be one of the debating points for years to come. At his best he was brilliant, at his worst a bit of a horror show. But we forget the majority of his games were decent, not significantly better or worse than the rest of the team. Without injhuries we just dont know what kind of form level he would have got to. His 2nd half performance against the rags when Vinnie had to go off a classic example where he was just solid, no mistakes. We had a single goal lead and it could have got hairy but our defense was easily on top of the rags with Mangala and Otamendi as the back 2. Defo not our worst signing ever for me.

Dunney Monster is a legend. My reference to him was purely was he any better than Mangala? It's hard to compare because of the different circumstances, but my main point is that when the revolution commenced, Dunne wasn't deemed sufficiently good enough & was jettisoned.

Would Mangala have performed in the mid 2000s? Would Dunne have performed under Pellegrini? Both periods were challenging times for us, but just to be clear I was making a comparison between both players.... One considered a legend, the other considered a car crash. That's why I question where this entitled, Raggish attitude of some City fans has come from.
Ahhh, that makes more sense. I suppose I can answer that question by giving you another one, though: Richard Dunne was consistently one of the best mid-table centre-backs in the Premier League for six/seven years. Would Mangala have been able to achieve that? I'm not so sure he would have.

Ahhh, that makes more sense. I suppose I can answer that question by giving you another one, though: Richard Dunne was consistently one of the best mid-table centre-backs in the Premier League for six/seven years. Would Mangala have been able to achieve that? I'm not so sure he would have.
Would Dunne have flourished in a top 4 club back then? Dunne was about the best we could hope for in the 2000s. No one asked him to play out from the back, be able to have a passing accuracy approaching 90%, or to be able to do anything more than splatter an opposing attacker, & then hoof the ball up to Bernardo Corradi & Darius Vassel.

Are you saying Dunne would survive one match under Pep, or that Mangler would still have not been up to standard if managed by Stuart "Beeny the Horse" Pearce?

It's interesting that both the BBC & Sky are reporting his fee when he joined us as £32 million rather than the massively inflated £48(?) million that they all jumped on when Footy Leaks(?) found simple maths difficult.

That's because 32m is whst we paid for him.

The rest was speculation that we paid an equal share to buy out his 3rd party ownership, which, the club spent months refusing to do. the fee we paid was 32m.

Good luck to him. Good on the club to take care of him till the final day.

Good to have him off the books at last. Nothing against him he just wasn’t suited to us. Hope he can get his career back on track in Spain.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.