Mango Chutney

Johnsonontheleft

Why is mango chutney in an Indian takeaway runny and delicious, but mango chutney from a supermarket so chunky and chemical-tasting?

Johnsonontheleft said:
Why is mango chutney in an Indian takeaway runny and delicious, but mango chutney from a supermarket so chunky and chemical-tasting?
often wondered that myself

and also how come the onions in an indian are sweet and tasty and at home they make you cry?

They puree it rather than water it down, done it myself with the bought stuff and it's much better, you're right though, it does taste different.

As for the onions, chop them fine and add some tomator puree, bit of sugar if you prefer a softer taste.

It's the curries I can't replicate, tried many times but it's never quite right, that's probably because I'm not an indian chef, or a chef of any sort really. I do enjoy a dabble in the kitchen though.

On a side note, someone posted a few weeks ago about a recipe for cheesecake, tried it last weekend, excellent, thanks to whoever it was.

They add amchoor / mango pulp and water/blend it down.

Try this it's a simple red onion chutney ( my own recipe ) chop 2 red onion into small pieces then add; 2tsp ketchup, 2stp mango chutney a good pinch of crumbled dried mint. 1 tsp black onion seeds and 1 tspn roasted cumin seeds. mix well and put in the fridge 20 mins before serving. Great on poppadoms.

paphos-mcfc said:

Try this it's a simple red onion chutney ( my own recipe ) chop 2 red onion into small pieces then add; 2tsp ketchup, 2stp mango chutney a good pinch of crumbled dried mint. 1 tsp black onion seeds and 1 tspn roasted cumin seeds. mix well and put in the fridge 20 mins before serving. Great on poppadoms.

<3 you ;)

you should do a thread once a month, on a dish we can all make, then take pics, then report back ha.

Ticket For Schalke said:
paphos-mcfc said:

<3 you ;)

you should do a thread once a week, on a dish we can all make, then take pics, then report back ha.

Fixed it for you TFS :-)

probably because anything made by sharwoods is inedible shit. anyone in any doubt should try sharwoods lime pickle. we all know what lime pickle should look & taste like as per curry houses, pataks, etc - chunky & spicy. but sharwooods lime pickle is just a runny brown sludge with only a couple of tiny solid bits in it. it looks like diarrhea & tastes fucking awful. it's not even the proper colour & no way can be described as pickle.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.