Manuel Pellegrini (cont)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Manuel Pellegrini

Latics Fan SJK said:
It's likely that you'll be 2nd by the end of the night, as I cannot see Roma getting anything.

Then onto the week after and Roma will have the advantage of playing first and putting pressure on City when you host Munich. I do think Roma will beat them, and I'm not too confident you'll beat Munich as I don't think they'll rest too many players despite having already qualified. They'll be well clear in the Bundesliga and would probably prefer Roma to advance with them instead of you just in case paths cross again further down the line.

That would obviously leave City needing to win in Rome in the final game. Not entirely impossible, as Bayern emphatically showed the other week, but it wont be easy. It will, however, provide a great opportunity for City to show what they're made of in Europe. A win, in Rome, with no other result an option, against an Italian side that will always make themselves difficult to break down when they only need a draw to advance, would make other teams sit up and think it's a turning point for you in Europe.

I don't know if Roma will find it that easy SJK, the entire match looks like it'll be played around the 1C mark and lower and they're starting to lose confidence and get some dodgy results, I think they've lost 3 of their last 4 in all competitions, might even be 3 out of 3.

Didsbury Dave said:
Mister Appointment said:
moomba said:
Can't see anything other than a convincing win tonight. Still makes us underdogs to go through IMO but keeps us in with a chance.

Agreed. I said in the run up to the game in Moscow if we didn't win we'd be fucked and I still feel like that. It's not that we're not capable of beating Bayern or Roma, I just don't have the same confidence I have in the PL.

To me this is an uphill battle now but tonight is still huge because to even be on the hill we need to win tonight.

Ye of little faith. We will qualify. In fact I'll put my arse on the line and say that we will progress beyond there too.

I was braced for anything going into the derby. Been a weird few weeks. I think i'll feel much better if we can get the win tonight and then go and beat QPR this weekend. It'll feel like the blip is behind us and we are getting our mojo back.

aguero93:20 said:
Latics Fan SJK said:
It's likely that you'll be 2nd by the end of the night, as I cannot see Roma getting anything.

Then onto the week after and Roma will have the advantage of playing first and putting pressure on City when you host Munich. I do think Roma will beat them, and I'm not too confident you'll beat Munich as I don't think they'll rest too many players despite having already qualified. They'll be well clear in the Bundesliga and would probably prefer Roma to advance with them instead of you just in case paths cross again further down the line.

That would obviously leave City needing to win in Rome in the final game. Not entirely impossible, as Bayern emphatically showed the other week, but it wont be easy. It will, however, provide a great opportunity for City to show what they're made of in Europe. A win, in Rome, with no other result an option, against an Italian side that will always make themselves difficult to break down when they only need a draw to advance, would make other teams sit up and think it's a turning point for you in Europe.

I don't know if Roma will find it that easy SJK, the entire match looks like it'll be played around the 1C mark and lower and they're starting to lose confidence and get some dodgy results, I think they've lost 3 of their last 4 in all competitions, might even be 3 out of 3.

They've only lost 3 games this season in all competitions.

Juventus (3-2 away)
Napoli (2-0 away)
Munich (7-1 home)

It's no disgrace losing to those sides if we're being honest. And on top of that, CSKA are not great shakes whether at home or not. On another day you'd have held on to your 2-0 lead or even extended it. Roma also destroyed CSKA at home in the opening game.

They have a couple of simple looking league games coming up which will help them build some confidence, but I would think they'd have enough about them to beat CSKA, especially when they know they'll have to in order to be in the driving seat when you come to town.

Latics Fan SJK said:
Latics Fan SJK said:

Juventus (3-2 away)
Napoli (2-0 away)
Munich (7-1 home)

It's no disgrace losing to those sides if we're being honest. And on top of that, CSKA are not great shakes whether at home or not. On another day you'd have held on to your 2-0 lead or even extended it. Roma also destroyed CSKA at home in the opening game.

They have a couple of simple looking league games coming up which will help them build some confidence, but I would think they'd have enough about them to beat CSKA, especially when they know they'll have to in order to be in the driving seat when you come to town.

You should go look at CSKA's home record, even Bayern needed a dodgy penalty to beat them 1-0 there, as for Napoli, they're a shade of what they used to be and losing 7-1 to anyone is a disgrace for a top level side. Roma are in a bit of a rut at the minute is what I'm saying and that match is far from a foregone conclusion.

Latics Fan SJK said:
Latics Fan SJK said:

Juventus (3-2 away)
Napoli (2-0 away)
Munich (7-1 home)

Roma playing first doesn't put pressure on us in any shape or form! We are playing Bayern Munich. If results go our way tonight they will be through and whilst they have a lead in the Bundesliga they aren't completely running away with it and may "rest" players when they come to play us (not that their team gets much weaker). We've managed to beat Bayern twice in our previous four meetings so can take confidence from that. I agree that Roma should win in Moscow but conditions will be grim and it wont be particularly easy. I think you will see City batter them at home tonight and that will put some perspective on their varying ability home and away. Roma beat them at home, but Bayern only just managed to beat them at their ground. I actually think following the 5th game in the group we will be on 6pts with Roma on 4pts. I also think we will beat them in Rome. Don't let results guide you too much. Their team is good but not great. We should be beating a team like Roma these days. When we played Napoli, we weren't any better or worse than them.

It's typical city to make things more difficult than they had to be. But we will qualify this time around and are due an easier game (for once) in the CL so I think, as others have said, we will make quarters this year - and anything can happen then. In truth, I want to win the league more than anything. I would rather finish bottom of the CL group and win the league. Having said that, it's a priority in order to generate revenue and market the club globally so it will have to be both!

Tonight is a must win and I'm sure we will. The real test for Pellegrini will be Munich at home and Roma away. Does he play 2 up front or does he adapt his tactics based on previous experiences in Europe? He should play the extra midfielder in these games but I'm not convinced he will.

hgblue said:
Tonight is a must win and I'm sure we will. The real test for Pellegrini will be Munich at home and Roma away. Does he play 2 up front or does he adapt his tactics based on previous experiences in Europe? He should play the extra midfielder in these games but I'm not convinced he will.

We will know Roma's result in Moscow prior to playing Bayern. And therefore will know the various permutations from winning/drawing/losing. If we are equal on points we need to draw with them 1-1 or with more goals each to go through and rely on GD (think wins would be equal). I think we know by now that Pellegrini will try and win all of the remaining games and therefore will play his preferred 4-4-2 system. Injury may dictate we play a different way though.

supercity88 said:
hgblue said:

We will know Roma's result in Moscow prior to playing Bayern. And therefore will know the various permutations from winning/drawing/losing. If we are equal on points we need to draw with them 1-1 or with more goals each to go through and rely on GD (think wins would be equal). I think we know by now that Pellegrini will try and win all of the remaining games and therefore will play his preferred 4-4-2 system. Injury may dictate we play a different way though.

It's a matter of opinion whether we're more likely to win games playing 442 or 4231, and I'd advise anyone who disagrees to watch a dvd of the last time he went 442 against Munich at home.

I'd be disappointed to see Dzeko and Aguero in the lineup for the Bayern or Roma games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.