Manuel Pellegrini

DontLookBackInAnger

I was pondering this today, while I think unquestionably Pep has to be considered our greatest manager of all time and at least for me Mancini is someone I rate really highly for changing the culture at the club, making his teams almost the most-un "typical City" sides of all time and putting us at the very top table in terms of perception. At the time I thought we made a huge mistake letting him go...

What do people think of Pellegrini's legacy?

To kick off I believe he is vastly underrated the 2014 title team was in many ways superior to the 2012 team(although, yes in large part that was because of the experience in 2012)and the League Cup success over Sunderland was another underrated performance with clearly a good deal of it played under a hangover from the loss to Wigan the year before in the FA Cup final and against a team we relatively struggled against (for whatever reason). In many respects of the four managers since the take-over Pellegrini's was the hardest role to fill.... For Hughes it was a free hit at a job he wouldn't have got had the money been there. Mancini came in with a clear plan. Pellegrini was clearly not the man they wanted and was filling a gap until they got the person they wanted. Pep inherited a very successful team but one that was starting to age but.... has had an organization specifically built to support him(that's not meant as a knock on him).

Anyway I still can't make my mind up if I would place him above Mancini or not!!!

We played some really good football under Pellegrini, but after a while he seemed to run out of ideas and only scraped through into the Champs League in his last season if I remember rightly. Which resulted in most fans doing one out the ground when he addressed the crowd after our final home game, as it looked like we’d blown Champs League football with one game to go I think

No way is he above Mancini for me!

He didn't build a team so he can not be compared to Mancini or Pep but he wasn't given the chance to do so. We were gearing up for Pep.

We played some beautiful football at times under him , scoring a lot of goals , but you can't compare him to Mancini or Pep. Just looking at his CV you can tell he is not on the same level.
He is the only non-european manager to have won the PL , props to him for that !

He didn't build a team so he can not be compared to Mancini or Pep but he wasn't given the chance to do so. We were gearing up for Pep.
Yeah, he had some bad luck in his career, same thing happened to him at Real Madrid where he wasn't given time to build something and was replaced with Mourinho just because Mourinho was available.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.