Maradona embarrassment

It's funny.

I always disliked him as a blatant cheat, with his hand of God and drug fuelled expletives.

It didn't stop myself or hundreds of others giving him a great big cheer when he got out of his motorcade at our place when we beat united 1-0 back in 2011.

Hypocrisy at it's finest.

'Hey, Maradona, you little shit', and applauding him at the same time.

I wasn't the only one, and I always have a little inner chuckle about it.

And FIFA is paying him something like €10,000 per day as an “Ambassador”?

Yeah, football isn’t corrupt at all!

He is a bloated, over coked, over served drunk who has become a caricature of the fallen idol he once was to some. His comments after the Colombia game were a disgrace, but as soon as he was reminded who his paymaster was, his social media person saved his arse with a few words Maradona would never ever say.

He is irrelevant to football in every way except as a footnote to his long dead history a world class footballer who soiled his reputation by being not only a cheat, but a liar.
Its £10K per game that he attends NOT per day.

There's a time and a place where icons become embarrassments. This doesn't excuse anyone by race, creed, colour, choice of escapism (alcohol, drugs etc.) but I truly think that there are certain 'supposed' icons in sport that shouldn't be given a free pass to exploit their lack of touch with reality. I try my best to be successful in my career, however if I decided to be a cock by using my popularity/wealth to snort coke or become an alcoholic, I'm sure I wouldn't get invited to the next big 'gig'. Why is this different for footballers? Answers on a credit/cutting card will be fine ;-)
Maradona almost single-handedly (see what I did there? :-)) won the 1986 World Cup for Argentina. For that he's going to be forever-beloved by a wide swath of his countrymen and automatically forgiven most transgresses.

I agree with you that he's an embarrassment to himself and his country quite often these days - but, equally, I can see why most Argentinians are willing to overlook his behavior.

Where is he nowadays ? Not heard anything off him since he left Sunderland.
Well at the moment he's England's "Legend" at the World Cup finals. Perhaps he misread the advert and thought he was applying to be England's "Leg End"
Wikipedia tells me he's playing for Kerala Blasters FC in the Indian (not so) super league.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.