March 22nd-23rd 1986 Memories

City_Shirts

A busy weekend with a 2-2 draw at Old Trafford on the Saturday followed by Chelsea at Wembley on the Sunday in The Full Members Cup Final and dramatic 4-5 defeat with many blues claiming if the game went on for another 5 minutes we'd have clawed it back !!

Fortunate to have Clive Wilson & Graham Baker match worn shirts from the fixtures in my collection but would be great to hear blues tales of that weekend and anyone who did both games.

(3) Manchester City Match Worn Shirts | Facebook

busyweekend.jpg

Got my ticket via Bobby Charlton who used to visit a local business at Old Trafford flogging them on the Friday before the match,cheers Bobby,but stood in the Stretford paddock, a well earned Desmond tutu draw.

Lived in Sale at the time so got the train from Dane Road to the cricket ground after a few pints in The Bridge first.
2 down and 2-2 to finish - Arthur Albiston became our favourite rag and his name rang out loudly around the old twin towers the next day.

Went to Wembley on a coach organised by Donald Francis that was leaving from Sale. Picked us all up on Washway Road near to the Bulls Head - all of us bringing on board beer which had just been banned from being drank on football coaches.

Got into the Wembley to see a school boy penalty shoot out and then a youth team 5 a side game that City won 2-1 and finally the big game! Going one up and then 5-1 down before that incredible comeback. Yes had the game had just a few mins longer we would have equalised. Chelsea were done and City had a second wind. Imagine extra time?? Or was it straight to penalties!
Chaos outside after the game as it all kicked off. Made it safely to our coach and all the beer had been confiscated. The old bill had gone onto every one during the game and did a full sweep. What pissed me off is that the bag my beers were in also had my sandwiches in for the way home and they had gone too.
Driving out of the car park were were getting items thrown at the bus and about half the bus were asking the driver to stop so they could get off and he a go back! The driver carried on regardless!
Fantastic weekend - the likes of which will never be seen again

I did both, in the Scoreboard with the other Blues for the derby, was good to put the rags noses out of joint with Clive Wilson's diving header and Albiston's classic o.g. Nothing out of the ordinary off the pitch, can't recall seeing any trouble on the way back home to Sale Moor.

Wembley the following day was very different, twice as many Chelsea fans as City and most seemed intent on trouble before and after the match. I'd driven down with my mum (it was part of her birthday present!) so couldn't even have a drink and we decided to leave at 5-1 as she was a bit worried about possible trouble after seeing a couple of pre-match incidents. Hearing some of what went on after the match it was probably a wise move.

In the mid/late 60s I often did get the 99 to Princess road depot but from the early 70s I tended to get the 40/41 from Sale Moor, there was usually an extra 40 put on for the match from Sale Moor.
Yes the 41 was quicker (talking about the 80's here) but you had to walk to Wilmslow Road to get it! The 99 would be on Lloyd St opposite the Parkside.
Always got off at Sale Moor circle and get the beer and The Pink from the Spar and walked home near Worthington Park.

Last edited:
Was at both games. The Chelsea fans attacked our mini bus, very tense afternoon, all in all.

Went to both games.. Less trouble at the derby than at Wembley.
Went on a coach with blues from Fallowfield and what a bunch of nutters they were.
Went in a pub not far from Wembley but the driver had taken a wrong turn and we ended up in a convoy with the Chelsea fans.. Our coach was attacked all the way till we got to Wembley carpark.
Kicked off all over the concourse as loads of Chelsea were in our end.
Definitely thought we were going to equalise in last few minutes but wasn't to be.
Fighting all the way back to the coach.. By time we got off the carpark mostof the windows had been put through and we had been tear gassed too.
It was fucking freezing going home and our coach made the news because of the damage it had sustained.
It was an eventful weekend but still one I wouldn't have missed for anything..

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.