Mark Burgess - Tales from the ticket office!

The thing that still pisses me off is a certain Mr Halford.

When watching tunnel cam, I still see Mr Halford scurrying around with the players, I just don't get it. He may have been around for 30 years and is very loyal and a true blue, but in my opinion was totally and utterly inept at his job.

He was the secretary of my club during it's darkest hours, and he was far too close to Peter Swales, Mr Halford has a lot to answer for.

Mark was later promoted to a senior managerial position and given his own office. One of the first things he did was buy a steel cabinet with a lock on it and kept the away game tickets in the cabinet - his predecessor kept them in a shoe box under the table.... Mark says that by limiting the amount of away game tickets given to the counter staff each day and locking them up at night, for the first time in 5 years, the away game ticket money balanced accurately!
Well that bit explains why, when I went to the TO window for an away ticket in those days, more often than not the assistant had to go into the back office to get the tickets. I never understood until now why they didn't keep a bigger allocation at the windows.

The thing that still pisses me off is a certain Mr Halford.

When watching tunnel cam, I still see Mr Halford scurrying around with the players, I just don't get it. He may have been around for 30 years and is very loyal and a true blue, but in my opinion was totally and utterly inept at his job.

He was the secretary of my club during it's darkest hours, and he was far too close to Peter Swales, Mr Halford has a lot to answer for.

This

He has to be 1 of the luckiest fella's around. Him and his mates fkd us over and all you hear him on about is how long he has supported the club, so what Mr Halford

It has amazed me how Halford has been rehabilitated reputation wise. I remember the fiasco that was the play off final ticket situation, the crowd was in many instances baying for his blood and I remember once we got inside the North Stand seeing all the graffiti about 'Mr Manchester City' highlighting how inept he was. He is a very lucky fella to be on such a number these days, he was part of the Swales bunch and must have known about the gate fiddling and the like, none of the Swales acolytes should be wined and dined by the club but sadly they are.

Great read that book on a very interesting person like Mark Burgess, brought up a couple of streets away from me. Big city fan...think he still goes to alot of the matches when his band aren't touring. Pretty sure he still lives in Hollin in Middleton as well.

Great read that book on a very interesting person like Mark Burgess, brought up a couple of streets away from me. Big city fan...think he still goes to alot of the matches when his band aren't touring. Pretty sure he still lives in Hollin in Middleton as well.
Think he lives in Germany now but his mam still lives in Hollin or Boarshaw i think,i used to see him a lot late 70's early 80's when i lived on Langley he's a top lad.

Think he lives in Germany now but his mam still lives in Hollin or Boarshaw i think,i used to see him a lot late 70's early 80's when i lived on Langley he's a top lad.

I am glad to see other posters giving their opinion on Mr. Halford.
He presided over the fiasco of a ticket office for many years.
How he remained in the job is a complete mystery.
And now he is Mr. Manchester City.

It has amazed me how Halford has been rehabilitated reputation wise. I remember the fiasco that was the play off final ticket situation, the crowd was in many instances baying for his blood and I remember once we got inside the North Stand seeing all the graffiti about 'Mr Manchester City' highlighting how inept he was. He is a very lucky fella to be on such a number these days, he was part of the Swales bunch and must have known about the gate fiddling and the like, none of the Swales acolytes should be wined and dined by the club but sadly they are.
will never ever forget how they 'handled' the 99 play offs final,allowed ANYONE with a season ticket to queue for tickets from day 1,obviously it was fuckin chaos,the same weekend Bolton had sold ALL their tickets online.......

will never ever forget how they 'handled' the 99 play offs final,allowed ANYONE with a season ticket to queue for tickets from day 1,obviously it was fuckin chaos,the same weekend Bolton had sold ALL their tickets online.......

I know it was a shambles, but queuing that day holds some great memories for me - wouldn't change it for anything...

I was also in the Oasis Maine Road queue. Less fond memories of that, there was one person left in the queue before us when it sold out. Got in in the end anyway through work, but that night was character building lol.

That play off final was the culmination of years of ineptitude presided over by that clown Halford! In spite of fulfilling all the criteria to easily buy a ticket i had the misfortune to be working away on the ship when they went on sale,so missed out on one.I spent hours on the phone, constantly getting an engaged signal.When i got home there was a rumour some more tickets had been released so i shot off down to Maine Road where quite a few of us were waiting with no one giving us any real information.Eventually we collared someone going inside who told us they had sold out and when we tried to speak to him slammed the door in our faces and bolted it.He should have been sacked years ago and anyone who ran such a shambles of an organisation in any other industry would have been!At the last minute i got a ticket from Sue Wallace thank God!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.