Mark Burgess - Tales from the ticket office!

Tin hat on but here goes.... Some of the people in that ticket office at that time (and before and after) had big City hearts and brains to match but were rather hamstrung and held back by management (senior and junior) in all aspects of the job, I know the metal filing cabinet the OP refers to very well.

My name on here is a great description of working there at the time.

Love the Chameleons and met Mark when ChameleonsVox played at a venue I worked at a few years ago. Decent bunch of blokes but I've never met a bigger bunch of pissheads in my life!

Has he been a guest on City Sq yet? Needs to happen if not.

I just want to say, I just discovered The Chameleons yes, in 2019. I have been obsessed with their sound past few weeks, equally nice to see they are from Manchester. I said to myself, I just know deep in my heart Mark Burgess is a City fan. And sure enough of course he is. Just further cemented my love for them.

Brilliant music, can't believe they weren't bigger. Their sound is amazing. Fave album: "What does anything mean? Basically". Fave track, "Nostalgia".

I have just started reading Mark Burgess's book ''View From The Hill''.
For those that don't know, Mark is / was the front man for the most criminally overlooked band from Manchester (well, Middleton) - The Chameleons.
Anyway, before I started from the beginning, I flicked through to the late 1990's / early 2000's as Mark was working in the ticket office at Maine Road and I was wondering if he mentioned that......
He certainly did and it was an eye opener..... anyone around at the time will know what a shambles the ticket office was..... here are a few bits.....

Most of the staff on match days were students with no interest in the game, just making money to get them through college years - and Mark claims that the senior manager, named only as 'Duncan' (I'm sure we all know who he is lol) was a bit of a twit. He says Duncan delegated everything out to the point that no one knew what it was he did himself! And whenever Duncan did take responsibility for something, it ended up in disaster....

One example of this was the two gigs Oasis did at Maine Road and Duncan - despite many warnings - refused to accept credit card bookings over the phone or fax applications. It had to be cash at the window and two tickets per person. So selling around 100,000 tickets chaos soon loomed and as besieged ticket office staff worked hard to cope with the demand, Duncan locked himself in his office! Not only that but 5000 quids worth of tickets ''went missing'' and when Duncan called the club secretary (named as Mr H), Mr H came to the ticket office and read the riot act with Duncan.

Mark was later promoted to a senior managerial position and given his own office. One of the first things he did was buy a steel cabinet with a lock on it and kept the away game tickets in the cabinet - his predecessor kept them in a shoe box under the table.... Mark says that by limiting the amount of away game tickets given to the counter staff each day and locking them up at night, for the first time in 5 years, the away game ticket money balanced accurately!

One day Duncan came in and asked Mark to do a specific job. Colin Bell had been sacked the day before and Duncan gave him Bell's season ticket and asked him to delete Bell from the database and get the seats on the computer for selling. Mark sat in his office, thinking about what Colin Bell meant to him, City and City fans and could not do it. He went to see Duncan and simply asked him to get one of the casual staff, who knew nothing about football, never mind the person in question, to do it. Duncan refused, stating he had asked Mark to do the job and expected him to do it. Mark slammed the door behind him and went back to his office. Later another staff member came in and took the season ticket away with him, saying he would get one of the casual staff to do it.
Mark was slowly getting back into the music business and after one more row with Duncan, he said he would quit and stay long enough to train the new person and then be off.

I remember Mark coming round to supporters clubs to talk about the move to the new ground and how he ended being asked more questions about The Chameleons than he did City!
Anyway.... time to start on page 1....
I booked with card over the phone for oasis,in fact me and my mate both did. I know because I put him onto it and we got 4 each at £19

The ticket office was a shambles in those days. I Denver buying a ticket in the North Stand one day for a change from the Kippax. My seat was broken and I couldn’t stand in the spot because of low hanging barbed wire. I don’t know the chameleons but I will have a listen on YouTube.

For all our gripes, the ticket office has improved out of all recognition in recent years. I and no doubt many others contributed to a collection for a woman in the ticket office who has been a great help with Supporters Club tickets.

I just want to say, I just discovered The Chameleons yes, in 2019. I have been obsessed with their sound past few weeks, equally nice to see they are from Manchester. I said to myself, I just know deep in my heart Mark Burgess is a City fan. And sure enough of course he is. Just further cemented my love for them.

Brilliant music, can't believe they weren't bigger. Their sound is amazing. Fave album: "What does anything mean? Basically". Fave track, "Nostalgia".
Amazin band. Get on ‘Caution’ or ‘In Shreds’

Was never a Chameleons fan, though most of my mates were into them big-time.

When we were in the third division I was living in Staffordshire (funnily enough) and we were playing Port Vale away. I tried getting tickets, but the ticket office insisted I had to drive to Manchester to get them as the game was less than a week away and I wasn’t a season ticket holder (or something like that) so they wouldn’t post them.

I eventually got to speak to a guy in the office who took pity on me and agreed to bring the tickets down in person, meet me outside Vale Park before kick off and hand them to me. We sorted a time and place and I asked him his name so i could make sure I could identify him properly when we met. “Mark Burgess” he said. “Oh. Like the bloke from the Chameleons” I replied. “Yeah. That’s me actually”.

We met up as planned. Got the tickets off him no problem. Top lad in my book.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.