Mark E Smith

I actually have a t-shirt from that tour. It's the cover of the 'Extricate' album with a list of venues on the back.

Someone in the UK was flogging one on e-Bay a few years ago.

This video features pretty much the full constellation of MES idiosyncracies (faulty megaphone, plastic bag, amp knob twiddling, premature off-stage departure etc.):

But possibly the best ever bit of MES being deliberately provocative and annoying on TV comes at the end of this performance:

Appropriate too. Most of the music on Later is fucking shit and I can't stand the way Jools Holland goes around saying how great all the performers are.

He always had a fit bird in the band and married a few of them!

Didn't realise Kay had passed away RIP
spent many a boozy time with Mark,Kay & others in the Forestors pub in Prestwich late 70s early 80s
He used to bring his shoes in for repair in the morning, saying he'd get them later after he'd been for 'a little drink'. Nice as pie bringing them in, grumpy fucker when collecting them.

Another MES story I've just remembered, City related:

About 10 years ago City were really getting into the social media, modern marketing thing. It was the time when we did the Tevez poster etc. The club had a kit launch event in the Northern Quarter, I think probably for the first Umbro kit. They decided to invite City fans who they saw as "influencers" and my mate was seen as one due to his high profile on Twitter at the time. If memory serves me right then I think @Ric was there too and I've a feeling he actually sat with my mate and witnessed this:

MES was also invited as a high profile Blue and my mate, a big Fall fan, went and sat with him and he proceeded to get arseholed on the free booze. Apparently the more pissed MES got, the more abusive he got because, unsuprisingly, he hated the whole corporate pretentiousness and youthful marketing slant of the whole event. He was heckling, shouting things like "What would Mike fucking Doyle have made of this?", and got so abusive that he was more or less asked to leave.

Brilliant.
I never realised Mark was a City fan till I read the comments on this thread
Did he actually go to many games and I don't meen this disrespectfuly
I knew Mark quite well late 70s early 80s sometimes saw him in the pub before & after some games and never once remember speaking to him about City ( maybe we were too pissed or stoned or both)
Some members of the Prestwich & Whitefield branch knew him better than me & none of them ever suggested getting him to a meeting ( piss up)or coming to a game or getting stuff of him to raffle auction or even mentioning he was a Blue
Maybe he didn't want us to know lol as there was a good chance he would have ended up well & truly in the shit on some of our trips
Every day is a school day & you learn something new all the time
Top bloke Mark RIP mate

I knew Mark quite well late 70s early 80s sometimes saw him in the pub before & after some games and never once remember speaking to him about City ( maybe we were too pissed or stoned or both)
Some members of the Prestwich & Whitefield branch knew him better than me & none of them ever suggested getting him to a meeting ( piss up)or coming to a game or getting stuff of him to raffle auction or even mentioning he was a Blue
Maybe he didn't want us to know lol as there was a good chance he would have ended up well & truly in the shit on some of our trips
Top bloke Mark RIP mate
Always been surprised you didn't mention him much in your books
A big blue and cynical with it too I'd guess
born in salford but saw the light even before moving up to your way

the thread on the main forum about "City entrance music (ideads?)
i included my choice
one of Marks songs
M5#1

Last edited:
Top bloke Mark RIP mate

A very old and amusing interview we he talkes about stopping going because of the moaning:

When Saturday Comes - Call yourself a football fan? – Mark E Smith (wsc.co.uk)

Top bloke Mark RIP mate
Can't believe you knew him but never knew he was a Blue! Ha!
I really couldn't imagine him on stage in front of the P&W branch on free beer all night....

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.