Mark Hughes and the Transfer Window

moomba said:
Personally think he's been a waste of money.

Whole different set up this time though Moomba.

In that any money that we used to spend was then not there for any other player that then became available.

Although I believe our new owners will set out a limit I don't doubt that more money WOULD become available for the right signing

In other words, we have the money to address any problem. And if that is for short term back up if we don't get who we want then so be it.

I'm not sure the owners will support endless spending just for the sake of spending. We all talk about them being astute businessmen, and while I'm sure they'll be happy to spend big on the right player I don't think they'll be happy spending the sort of money being talked about on ageing mediocre players just for the sake of padding the squad.

Baby steps approach is not for me I'm afraid. We can do so much better (and I'm not talking about superstars only).

FWIW I'd be very happy with Marcos Senna in the midfield and Owen up front. Also older players, but capable of contributing to a run to the top 6 positions (Bellamy and Parker are not IMO) and will come a lot cheaper (we can argue the money shouldn't worry us, but why strengthen rival clubs?)

moomba said:
I'm not sure the owners will support endless spending just for the sake of spending. We all talk about them being astute businessmen, and while I'm sure they'll be happy to spend big on the right player I don't think they'll be happy spending the sort of money being talked about on mediocre players just for the sake of padding the squad.

Baby steps approach is not for me I'm afraid. We can do so much better (and I'm not talking about superstars only).

But this is the January window Moomba and a lot depends on availability surely?

I beleive MH has done extremley well with signings bar TBH and maybe Jo.

Although they were all in the summer. I honestly beleive money talks enough nowdays that we can get a LB, Ball winning CM and a Lethal Finishing CF.
Whether they can be get in Jan.... In MH we trust.

moomba said:
mackenzie said:
But this is the January window Moomba and a lot depends on availability surely?

Every player in the world is available.

I don't think they are. Despite the wealth at our disposal. Not at this time anyway.

True-Blue said:
I beleive MH has done extremley well with signings bar TBH and maybe Jo.

Although they were all in the summer. I honestly beleive money talks enough nowdays that we can get a LB, Ball winning CM and a Lethal Finishing CF.
Whether they can be get in Jan.... In MH we trust.

I'm not sure that the system we play lends itself to a CF scoring bags of goals.

Looks like he has Redknapps respect anyway. He said:

"Everyone thinks Man City are going to come in and pay way over the odds for everybody because of the money they've got, but I don't think they will," he said.

"Mark Hughes is a very clever manager, he might want the players but I don't think he'll sit back and let the owners pay vastly inflated fees for players he does not feel are worth that kind of money.

"I think that is the key, if a chairman hears Man City might be interested in one of their players they could say, 'Let's hang on and we could double our money'. I don't think that will happen, Mark is too shrewd for that."

C_T_I_D said:
Looks like he has Redknapps respect anyway. He said:

"Everyone thinks Man City are going to come in and pay way over the odds for everybody because of the money they've got, but I don't think they will," he said.

"Mark Hughes is a very clever manager, he might want the players but I don't think he'll sit back and let the owners pay vastly inflated fees for players he does not feel are worth that kind of money.

"I think that is the key, if a chairman hears Man City might be interested in one of their players they could say, 'Let's hang on and we could double our money'. I don't think that will happen, Mark is too shrewd for that."
The thing that will throw that theory out the window is that right now(in general)it is a buyers market, MANY clubs are seeing that most rich owners at not so rich anymore and like with Honda and F1 politically it is better to scale back(or cut)altogether their sports interests than close whole sectors of your mainstream business. If Hughes and Cook run into this, they should politely leave their phone number with the club and move on to their next target, I'm sure before too long the phone will start ringing again.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.