Mark van Dongen's ex-partner cleared of murder

Metalartin

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44159192

Reading her motives, the fact that took the time to plan it, the damage, suffering and heartache she caused him and his family which eventually led to him being transported to Belgium where euthanasia is legal, to put an end to his suffering. Is anyone else angered by this verdict?

If the jury had found Berlinah Wallace had thrown the acid intending to kill or seriously harm Mark Van Dongen, and that her act was a significant cause of his death, it would have been open to them to find her guilty of murder.

Clearly they did not find this to be the case.

Call me cynical but I feel if this was a man who had destroyed a woman in this way, there'd be a different verdict and even if there wasn't there would be much more of a public outcry about it. I can imagine the most likely types of reactions it would get. I suppose as men we just have to hope we are never on the wrong end of anything like this as the justice system may just make a mug of you.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-44159192

Reading her motives, the fact that took the time to plan it, the damage, suffering and heartache she caused him and his family which eventually led to him being transported to Belgium where euthanasia is legal, to put an end to his suffering. Is anyone else angered by this verdict?

Call me cynical but I feel if this was a man who had destroyed a woman in this way, there'd be a different verdict and even if there wasn't there would be much more of a public outcry about it. I can imagine the most likely types of reactions it would get. I suppose as men we just have to hope we are never on the wrong end of anything like this as the justice system may just make a mug of you.
Sadly under the law I suppose as he decided to end his own life, under the law the jury couldn't convict her of murder however unjust that seems.

I don't know anything about this case but, why is there a glass of sulphuric acid hanging around someones flat?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-bristol-43949310

She said it was for distressing some fabric(fashion student) but one of her her excuses was she thought it was water and in another article...

Berlinah Wallace, 48, researched the effects of sulphuric acid before purchasing a bottle and throwing it over Mark van Dongen, 29, in September 2015.

Clearly not right in the head but that rarely gets a man off the hook for crimes such as this.

Last edited:
Sadly under the law I suppose as he decided to end his own life, under the law the jury couldn't convict her of murder however unjust that seems.
Did you not read my quote in the OP? It meets the criteria of intending to cause serious harm and being a significant cause of his death.

Fifteen months later he ended his life by euthanasia in a Belgian hospital. He was paralysed from the neck down and had lost a leg, ear and eye.

The man was paralysed from the neck down and in pain physically and psychologically, no quality of life. I think that's a pretty significant cause. The article explains if a man is stabbed and runs out into traffic to get away from the attacker and is ran over and dies that is enough for a murder charge. So it doesn't have to be a direct cause... I guess the question to ask is does this happen without her actions? Perhaps also do you blame him for choosing euthanasia in his plight?

Last edited:
Did you not read my quote in the OP? It meets the criteria of intending to cause serious harm and being a significant cause of his death.

The man was paralysed from the neck down and in pain physically and psychologically, no quality of life. I think that's a pretty significant cause. The article explains if a man is stabbed and runs out into traffic to get away from the attacker and is ran over and dies that is enough for a murder charge.
Yes mate and I listened to the report on the radio his life was over from the second she chucked the acid on him, I feel whether man or woman makes no difference she should have been convicted of murder but committing assisted suicide made it a real grey area for a jury.

Yes mate and I listened to the report on the radio his life was over from the second she chucked the acid on him, I feel whether man or woman makes no difference she should have been convicted of murder but committing assisted suicide made it a real grey area for a jury.
That's the thing, I can't shake the feeling it wouldn't have been a grey area at all if it was a woman though, the assisted suicide part wouldn't have slowed them one bit if you ask me. Stupid decision, given his options there should be no grey area but remembering acid attacks carry a life sentence now anyway, will this apply for something that happened in 2015?

Last edited:
That's the thing, I can't shake the feeling it wouldn't have been a grey area at all if it was a woman though, the assisted suicide part wouldn't have slowed them one bit if you ask me. Stupid decision, given his options there should be no grey area but remembering acid attacks carry a life sentence now anyway, will this apply for something that happened in 2015?
Don't the full story behind this it seems a bit of a murky set up to be honest, reckon she'll probably get a life sentence but what's that now 7 years and out on licence.

Don't the full story behind this it seems a bit of a murky set up to be honest, reckon she'll probably get a life sentence but what's that now 7 years and out on licence.
Blimey 7 years? That's what life is now? The message he sent to her the day before his injection tells me justice was one of his dying wishes and I think that wasn't much to ask considering the amount of suffering he went through and his poor family too, who will bare witness to how this is being handled. That wont feel enough for them and I don't blame them.

That'll teach me for straying from the football news, I only went on there to see if Liverpool really had released their parade plans this early.

Last edited:

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.