Martin Hannett........need I say more

Thanks Knighty,
Can't believe I've not seen it before, fuckin pioneers Wilson and Hannett, 2 of my all time heroes (I know one was a rag - ouch.).

Without them there would have been no...

Joy Division
New Order
ACR
Durutti Column
Mondays
Black Grape
Hacienda
Dry Bar

and probably no oasis.

We'd have just had City ............

allyboy said:
Thanks Knighty,
Can't believe I've not seen it before, fuckin pioneers Wilson and Hannett, 2 of my all time heroes (I know one was a rag - ouch.).

Joy Division
New Order
ACR
Durutti Column
Mondays
Black Grape
Hacienda
Dry Bar

and probably no oasis.

he played a part, in shaping their sound but I dont know if you can say there wouldnt be any of the above without him.
Why the hac and dry bar tho?
He also produced slaughter and the dogs, john cooper clarke, buzzcocks

allyboy said:
Thanks Knighty,

Joy Division
New Order
ACR
Durutti Column
Mondays
Black Grape
Hacienda
Dry Bar

and probably no oasis.

...And The Smiths.

Simonk, you're dead right in he didn't shape the sounds, that was hannett's job.

Without AHW they wouldn't have had their sounds heard.
no-one in their right mind would have thrown cash at Curtis, Ryder, Hook etc..
good job AHW wasn't in it for the cash
He died with around 500k in real estate.

Worked alongside him in the muisic game. mid-late nineties, factory too time.

allyboy said:
Simonk, you're dead right in he didn't shape the sounds, that was hannett's job.

Without AHW they wouldn't have had their sounds heard.
no-one in their right mind would have thrown cash at Curtis, Ryder, Hook etc..
good job AHW wasn't in it for the cash
He died with around 500k in real estate.

Worked alongside him in the muisic game. mid-late nineties, factory too time.

met AHW twice - once in the Hac, and once outside the NEC as we arrived v late to see new order. Both times he initiated conversation with us, and I respect him all the more for it. I loved his ideals (altho it was generally other peoples money that funded them, altho he generally made them the money in the 1st place) and his relentless pursuit of new music. I even used watch his late night show - even though half of it went over my head, beacuse it was so pretentious. He didnt care - just wanted to expose as much as he could to thye masses. Right up there with Pell in my book. Must have been quality to get close to him. Was he always such a sound bloke?

He was amazingly aloof and completely confident in his own arrogance. He wasn't the most affable fella in the world but you knew you were with someone who had leftfield ideas in the music game. He was so pro-manchester I reckon it blinded him sometimes. there were much better acts out there that were gagging to be signed but he persistently signed the acts that no other label would dream of.
Even to the end he signed raw-t and along the way bands like space monkeys!.

Just a shame he supported the stretford rangers.

Sadly sadly missed in Manc. Never to be replaced that's for sure.
happy to talk about him anytime, big influence on what I did I do.

Musical genius!
Great sounds, 'The Return of The Durutti Column' has to be his best!

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.