Peter Drury replaces Martin Tyler on Sky Sports

Did I mishear the ‘arrogant’ comment? Didn’t Tyler distinguish it from being arrogant, saying it was a fine line between arrogance and displaying your skills (or words to that effect). As I recall it, he actually stated it wasn’t arrogant in this instance, but I wouldn’t swear to it.

More than happy to be corrected!
If I recall, it was more about his tone as pedantic as that is. I think he suggested it was too early for that given the score and that United had just been looking decent a few minutes prior, in a rather stern tone. Then he took a moment, and suddenly started sounding more jovial and talking about how obviously City wouldn't do that as it would be arrogant. It felt like he realised what he'd said and was trying to correct himself.

Reactions: AJT
If I recall, it was more about his tone as pedantic as that is. I think he suggested it was too early for that given the score and that United had just been looking decent a few minutes prior, in a rather stern tone. Then he took a moment, and suddenly started sounding more jovial and talking about how obviously City wouldn't do that as it would be arrogant. It felt like he realised what he'd said and was trying to correct himself.
That strikes a (slightly) more nuanced chord than just ‘arrogant’.

Thing is, Bernardo’s backflip produced the desired result and reached the player to whom it was intended; moreover, the angle the ball approached him made that movement the most efficient. So any suggestion it was showboating is plainly wrong. Showboating surely has to involve a level of gratuitousness, which simply wasn’t present on this occasion.

Was Denis Law arrogant in 1974? Absolutely not. He backheeled the ball because the angle it came at him from Lee’s scuffed cross made it the best way of quickly getting a shot in past a Stepney who hadn’t set himself. Whether it was arrogant or not, isn’t the issue - suggesting it was anything less than an efficient use of the ball is actually comical and even more deserving of derision than describing it as arrogant. It was a great piece of skill that kept the move going and accentuated the huge gulf in class between the two teams.

On their run of not keeping a clean sheet for the umpteenth consecutive game, he said, "It’s the first time in the rags' history that they’ve conceded at least one goal in 14 straight games for 62 years."

So, it’s not the first time in their history, is it, you daft old twat?

The comment about Bernardo's back heel and arrogance was truly bizzare.

I remember him on Granada in the 80's and he was very good but as soon as he got on the Sky gravy train he completely changed and then went right up the rags arses

He said something like "it's to early for show boating or arrogance they might earn the right to show boat but not for arrogance" lol
He is a cheeky fucker for saying that. Imagine if Ronaldo had done that if they were two up,he would had been saying that the party tricks are out and how fantastic he was. All City fans loved that moment just like when Raz was trying to take the piss out of them when we beat them 3-1 and Pep had a go at him, he should have been giving him high fives not showing them respect, they have never given us an ounce of respect when they were top dogs so I say fuck them.

Tried to have a bit of banter with him a few years back as he came up onto Colin Bell Level 3 before a derby. As he walked by I literally said remember there are 2 teams today Martin. I didn’t swear or anything from nowhere Graeme le Saux appeared started calling me a wanker android then Tyler comes over saying he’s a working class fan of some lower league side who constantly gets abuse. I said that I was sure the salary eased the pain and city staff ushered him and Le Saux off. Fucking bizarre incident and underlined what a total twat he is for me.
I was surprised to read about Lee Socks's attitude.
Then l recalled he was a Guardian reader and other players in the dressing room used to take the piss for it.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.