Martin Zero - local urban explorer

I've really enjoyed Martin Zero's videos. The series on the River Medlock was excellent. Played some of them for my parents who loved seeing some the old pictures of East Manchester as it used to be, both having grown up in Openshaw. You could see them both go back to being kids and remembering the places where they used to go and visit family and friends. The video on the Standedge Tunnels is well worth a watch too. In fact loads of his films are well worth a watch if you like that sort of thing.
I see he has one on the mines in Alderley Edge so watching that one next
The one about the trap door at the back of the Hacienda for the canal to drain into the Tib was really interesting.

I'd never heard of the River Tib.
Bit backwards, I suppose.
Tib St, Tib Lane and Tib Lock are the only references to it that remain.
It is videos like this that schools should be showing.in the city. Teaching kids of the heritage and history around them.

Last edited:
I see he has one on the mines in Alderley Edge so watching that one next
The one about the trap door at the back of the Hacienda for the canal to drain into the Tib was really interesting.

There are two of those MES. I believe he's done a third, or will do a third one, which will be the third and biggest of the Alderley Edge mines. Loved those ones too and having watched them I really fancy booking on to one of those trips. A girl I used to work with went on one of the trips a few years back and she loved it.

I was told many years ago that some of the mines in Manchester (e.g. Bradford Pit,Moston Colliery and possibly Agecoft) had sunken shafts and tunnels which extended right out to Alderley Edge. So you could walk underground from Manchester city centre out to The Cheshire Plain.
Does anybody know if this is true?

I was told many years ago that some of the mines in Manchester (e.g. Bradford Pit,Moston Colliery and possibly Agecoft) had sunken shafts and tunnels which extended right out to Alderley Edge. So you could walk underground from Manchester city centre out to The Cheshire Plain.
Does anybody know if this is true?
Certainly pretty much of east and north Manchester is above a mine shaft. Remember when buying a house in Moston having to pay for searches by the surveyor as to what was underneath the house.
Never heard of it being that far out though but i wonder how far they do go out.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.