Martin Zero - local urban explorer

So much of the city's river heritage is below ground. As a kid i never knew about our rivers. I lived next to a stinking drain called the Mersey. Mcr has a great history we should all be aware of.

Certainly pretty much of east and north Manchester is above a mine shaft. Remember when buying a house in Moston having to pay for searches by the surveyor as to what was underneath the house.
Never heard of it being that far out though but i wonder how far they do go out.
I bought a house in New Moston in 1986 that subsequently suffered slippage,although the engineers report stated that the slippage was due to the house being built on the site of an old pond. Cost me a couple of grand knocked off the selling price of the house in 1989.
The guy who bought the house was a builder so he did the wall ties himself ,keeping the repair costs to a minimum.

So much of the city's river heritage is below ground. As a kid i never knew about our rivers. I lived next to a stinking drain called the Mersey. Mcr has a great history we should all be aware of.
On my street in Moston, Blue Bell Ave, the Dean Brook ran the length and you could hear it in the middle of the street running through the culvert. It ran underground alongaide the cemetery and came into the open the far side of Lightbowne Road for about 200 - 300 yards when it reached St Mary's Rd (and the Dean Brook pub) and goes underground into the culverted Moston Brook that doesnt see day light before Rochdale Road.

We used to go through Witches Tunnel when we were kids, which ran from Platt Fields Park, under Winslow Rd and you would end up in Birchfields Park.
It was pitch Black with a narrow ledge,
I wouldn’t do it now!

Good Videos, but my concern for Martin is his lack of PPE.
I hope he has been on a confined spaces course as these places can be deadly with gases etc.
He actually mentions a strange chemical smell while he is under Alan Turing way, I’d have got out of there personally but I’m sure he knows what he’s doing.

@Mad Eyed Screamer Thanks for sharing this mate. Fascinating stuff. All that silt and grime from the bygone era of the Manchester industrial revolution tells a tale. It would make even more interesting viewing if the narrator wasn't such a "it's getting too deep" wimp. He's got chest waders yet he's yelling like a big girls blouse when the waters starts getting over his knees, and he has a depth gauge stick! Also could have done with a GoPro cam attached to his helmet.

The Environment Agent or/and Canal And River Trust could make a fortune out of the underground labyrinth of water under the city if they cleaned the rubbish and desilted it. They could dam it and have punts sailing through it. I think people would pay to tour what looks like interesting viewing of the architecture and course of the Medlock under the city's streets.

This one was intresting....

My eldest daughter used to live just off Matthews Lane and I used to visit her there regularly.
I learnt about Nico Ditch about 10 years ago,and was fascinated that something that was over a thousand years old could still exist in urban Manchester.
It is best seen at the junction of Mount Road and Matthews Lane .

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.