Martin Zero - local urban explorer

@Mad Eyed Screamer Thanks for sharing this mate. Fascinating stuff. All that silt and grime from the bygone era of the Manchester industrial revolution tells a tale. It would make even more interesting viewing if the narrator wasn't such a "it's getting too deep" wimp. He's got chest waders yet he's yelling like a big girls blouse when the waters starts getting over his knees, and he has a depth gauge stick! Also could have done with a GoPro cam attached to his helmet.

The Environment Agent or/and Canal And River Trust could make a fortune out of the underground labyrinth of water under the city if they cleaned the rubbish and desilted it. They could dam it and have punts sailing through it. I think people would pay to tour what looks like interesting viewing of the architecture and course of the Medlock under the city's streets.
Been saying that for years. I was fortunate to go on a tour of the underground canal linking the Irwell to the Bridgewater canal (from Granada studios, underneath the Great Northern Warehouse and GMEX and Bridgewater Hall).
Entered via some steps in the GN Warehouse and into another world. It was actually used as an air raid shelter during WW2.
I suspect the reason they wont be opened up as tourist attractions is access to these places and the usual H&S regulations.

Been saying that for years. I was fortunate to go on a tour of the underground canal linking the Irwell to the Bridgewater canal (from Granada studios, underneath the Great Northern Warehouse and GMEX and Bridgewater Hall).
Entered via some steps in the GN Warehouse and into another world. It was actually used as an air raid shelter during WW2.
I suspect the reason they wont be opened up as tourist attractions is access to these places and the usual H&S regulations.
It would cost a lot of money to turn it into a tourist attraction, but with all the investment within the city surely someone with cash could take a punt (pun intended) on cleaning it up and making safe access and emergency exits. As for H&S regulations I think they would stipulate that Joe public would require a hard helmet and life jacket. I can't see it being too difficult in damming the Medlock and making safe to sail through. It would make a great tourist attraction for present and future generations.

It would cost a lot of money to turn it into a tourist attraction, but with all the investment within the city surely someone with cash could take a punt (pun intended) on cleaning it up and making safe access and emergency exits. As for H&S regulations I think they would stipulate that Joe public would require a hard helmet and life jacket. I can't see it being too difficult in damming the Medlock and making safe to sail through. It would make a great tourist attraction for present and future generations.
In the summer / dry periods it sounds like a good idea but during the rest of the year the water is high and fast and I just think the waterways company just prefer people stay away from it.
I think a cheaper option is a stairway being built to gain access to it and people like Martin do short walking tours when the water is not above a certain level and of course full PPE provided.

In the summer / dry periods it sounds like a good idea but during the rest of the year the water is high and fast and I just think the waterways company just prefer people stay away from it.
I think a cheaper option is a stairway being built to gain access to it and people like Martin do short walking tours when the water is not above a certain level and of course full PPE provided.
I'm certainly no navigational engineer but I reckon it could be done with expertise.

As for Martin being a guide for short walking tours, I doubt he'd get public liability insurance to cover people in the sludge like state the riverbed is currently in. And potential environmental health issues of its current state. Plenty of rats about and they carry Weil's disease, so it would take a lot of money and effort for it to become a tourist attraction.

I'm certainly no navigational engineer but I reckon it could be done with expertise.

As for Martin being a guide for short walking tours, I doubt he'd get public liability insurance to cover people in the sludge like state the riverbed is currently in. And potential environmental health issues of its current state. Plenty of rats about and they carry Weil's disease, so it would take a lot of money and effort for it to become a tourist attraction.
Pretty sure when i did the tour of the underground canal i signed a waiver against any claims for insurance in the event of an injury - another reason why these tours are one offs and not done regularly.

When did you do that and is that tour still available?
Well i have been gone 8 years so must have been 9 years ago. The organisers did them once a month for a couple of months only. Always way over subscribed quickly. You had to gain enterence via a posh office and they had to put down plastic covering so we wouldnt mess the floor up on coming back up the spiral staircase way down below.
Dont think they have done them for a while.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.