Marvel Universe vs DC Universe...

Marvel have had a long term goal and not rushed it, it’s took 10 years to get to infinity wars, DC just keep rebooting and try to fast track to an infinity war style film. Marvel is light has action and humour, DC especially with batman has always been dark and mainly devoid of humour, plus you have a being that can’t be beaten apart from kryptonite. I think Snyder had a vision and for various reasons DC dropped it and fudged justice league to get more humour in it, to me the vision he had was darker and better. They don’t seem to have a direction to go in, a few individual films Aquaman,flash, Shazam, Wonder Woman 2, a new Batman (possible different actor, yet again) man of steel 2? But where is it going a final battle against darkseid, surely that will seem like a Thanos rip off. I’m really looking forward to infinity wars but DC needs to get a vision of what they want and stick to it, personally a darker more edgy universe introducing the Lanterns would be good and a good opposite to the Marvel universe.

I agree with much of this!

As a kid, I used to get 'Thanos' and 'Darkseid' mixed up, but the easy part to remember is that 'Thanos' has an unrequited love for 'Lady(Mistress?) Death! It is rumoured that Snyder did have 'Darkseid' in his 3 hour cut! Lots of rumour and persistent leaking on this for it not to be true! I think, though, outside of 'Darkseid, 'Brainiac' is the only way they can go in this DC Universe.

I get the feeling Affleck will retain the role of 'Bats' depending on what happens with "Flashpoint", but I also think that that's the point where they will use the opportunity to reboot the universe.

Misread this at the time. The Batman films were great, they developed the character and made you invest and had some brilliant plot. WW was a good standalone. Superman has always been a shit hero as he's unbeatable and boring. That's their foundation and they fucked it by killing Bale's Batman and bringing in some dickhead that does cheap spam comedy films.

Marvel had long term vision, great characters, plot and character development and patience.

It's Txiki v Woodward.
Or if you read a previous poster, Coronation Street (life and bit of tongue in cheek comedy) vs Eastenders (constant absolute misery).

Got to say that WW has always been truly heroic in her appearances. But Marvel has that something else in most cases.

Or if you read a previous poster, Coronation Street (life and bit of tongue in cheek comedy) vs Eastenders (constant absolute misery).

Got to say that WW has always been truly heroic in her appearances. But Marvel has that something else in most cases.
Don't watch either mate, get the point though :)

Could probably be pointed out as well that while Gal Gadot v Scarlett Johansson is probably a draw, Marvel have the better actors hands down, RDJ in particular.

I have to ask; where has DC gone wrong? What has Marvel done right?

And, ultimately, how does DC get itself back on track...?

I'm really interested as I think there's a SCORE of reasons for DC failing, but I'd like to read other views from the well versed comic book fan to the casual film viewer.

I assume you are purely talking about the film side of things, because if you look at the actual comics divisions of those companies the actual reverse is true.
DC comics is out-performing Marvel comics by a long way, with Marvel only really maintaining a parity/market share with DC by publishing many more titles, constantly releasing more #1 issues and generally charging more per book.

If you look into possible reasons for this, then back around 2013 Marvel made a concerted effort to introduce more diversity & PC into its writing. Then they also started doing the same with its characters, either by introducing new ones like American Chavez (a latino lesbian), or re-booting original characters as something different, like turning Thor into a woman, Ironman became a black female teenager, the Hulk became Korean etc; they even got Jean Grey to gaslight Iceman into being gay.
Then they also introduced it into their artwork, with them veering away from the typical big-titted, scantily clad, hourglass figure amazon type female superheroine to a more everyday bigger hipped flatter chested one (i.e. compare the original Carol Danvers/Captain Marvel artwork to the latest incarnation).

This might of seemed a good idea at the time, but in conjunction with a general decline in good storylines (or PC based ones) it didn't actual equate to decent sales by the comic buying public, and even caused a backlash towards Marvel in some respects. Due to this a lot of the series were discontinued after a limited number of issues, or re-booted back to the original characters.

What i find interesting though is the film division of Marvel seem to have done the opposite by sticking to the original character types, and with the storylines etc are out-performing DC on that front.

I personally prefer a darker moodier type universe but DC at the moment don't seem to be able to quite get the right blend.

IMO the MCU's success if from not using worn-out superheroes. Before the movies I had only heard of Ironman, Thor and Captain America and what I knew about the Hulk came from the Lou Ferrigno show back in the day. The rest of them I had never even heard of. So when I see the movies it's new to me.

DC keeps running out the same tired characters who aren't nearly as interesting. Superman is too powerful and perfect, Batman seems kind of lame at this point, Aquaman was always a bad idea, the Flash is kind of cool I guess and Wonder Woman is easy on the eyes but kind of boring.

Add in that they MCU has better actors, much better villains, a good sense of humor and an overall plot tying everything together that is actually interesting and it's obvious why MCU is so much better.

don't know about now but when I was a teeneager I read Marvel and some DC and it was because they were tonally different.
and as a scifi lover watch most of the tv shows

Think marvel have made the right calls, with what charactors to use in certain parts of the universe, they also started with the origin story to let you get to know the charactor DC love flashbacks

marvel also gain from spliting styles, film ones that were light and dark at times and more serious ones like punisher and daredevil in tv shows.

DCs nolan trilogy revitalised batman, then they decided to go dark under Snyder which ruined the good work.
Snyder also picking to do depressing with supermans arc ruined him.

Strangely though the CW shows that are more light hearted and pulpy work and as does quirky offshoots like gotham which has built up backstories and developed charactors

when it comes to the films marvel wins hands down
with thor ragnarok, black panther, ant man, the winter soldier, both guardians of the galaxy, deadpool (ok not officially MCU) as my favourites

if I had to rate the tv shows would probably choose my top 10

Jessica jones
Punisher
Costantine (shame it was cancelled)
Legion
Gotham
Luke Cage
black lightning
daredevil
legends of tomorrow
Preacher or Agents of shield.

but DC tv has been a lot more better than it's movie universe, also managing to use other genres to make well watched shows like lucifer and izombie which are just police procedural shows based around their charactors.

Last edited:
Something else that could be it: The DC Characters are generally too powerful/strong at too many things, while the Marvel ones each have one main strength but also have fairly obvious flaws that can be exploited by a cunning super villain.
This makes their stories more real as they have to struggle with many of the same issues as normal people - just on a more spectacular scale.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.