Match fixing confirmed (including in England)

Prestwich_Blue

Europol have confirmed what some of us have been saying for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

A Champions League tie played in England is one of 380 matches across Europe investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.

But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.

Europol, which has been investigating for 18 months, said suspected matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".

Criminals wagered 16m euros on rigged matches and made eight million Euros in profits, Europol say.

Payments of two million Euros are thought to have been paid to those involved. The biggest payment to an individual was 140,000 Euros, according to investigators.

Europol believes a crime syndicate based in Asia was liaising with criminal networks throughout Europe. It believes match-fixing has taken place in 15 countries and 50 people have so far been arrested.

Officials said they feared this was the "tip of the iceberg".

Rob Wainwright, director of Europol, said: " This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe.

"It is clear to us this is the biggest-ever investigation into suspected match-fixing in Europe. It has yielded major results which we think have uncovered a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.

"We have uncovered an extensive criminal network."

So to those idiotic, smug, sarcastic twats who think it's all a bit of a nutjob conspiracy, your imminent apologies will be welcomed.

Here's another quote from the head of Interpol just a couple of weeks ago;
Match-fixing in football today generates "hundreds of billions of euros per year" around the world, the head of Interpol has warned.
<br /><br />-- Mon Feb 04, 2013 11:07 am --<br /><br />
CTID1988 said:
Which game do you all think it was?.....
Looking at the way we played in some of our CL games you have to wonder...

I'd love it all to come the the fore. Exposed for us all to see. Whereever you find big money you find big corruption.

I posted something on here a couple of years ago about some Champions League ties being fixed.
A friend of my brothers works for Betfair and checks on betting spikes and strange market activity, he told our kid that United v Celtic and the Liverpool match played on the same night (can't remember who it was against), would both be draws. The betting on these games from South East Asia absolutely stunk and had fix written all over them.

Both games finished 1-1 and I remember Liverpool getting a really dodgy penalty in the last minute to equalise. If someone can find out who it was Liverpool played that night and Youtube the penalty decision you'll see what I mean.

And no I didn't bet on the draws, cos I thought my brother was talking arse. RRRRRRRRR!!!

Prestwich_Blue said:
Europol have confirmed what some of us have been saying for a while.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/21319807

A Champions League tie played in England is one of 380 matches across Europe investigators say was fixed.

European police did not reveal the identity of the match they believe was corrupt in England.

But Europol did say that they had uncovered an organised crime syndicate based in Asia that was co-ordinating the operation.

Some 425 match officials, club officials, players and criminals are suspected of being involved.

Europol, which has been investigating for 18 months, said suspected matches included World Cup and European Championship qualifiers, two Champions League ties and "several top football matches in European leagues".

Criminals wagered 16m euros on rigged matches and made eight million Euros in profits, Europol say.

Payments of two million Euros are thought to have been paid to those involved. The biggest payment to an individual was 140,000 Euros, according to investigators.

Europol believes a crime syndicate based in Asia was liaising with criminal networks throughout Europe. It believes match-fixing has taken place in 15 countries and 50 people have so far been arrested.

Officials said they feared this was the "tip of the iceberg".

Rob Wainwright, director of Europol, said: " This is the work of a suspected organised crime syndicate based in Asia and operated with criminal networks around Europe.

"It is clear to us this is the biggest-ever investigation into suspected match-fixing in Europe. It has yielded major results which we think have uncovered a big problem for the integrity of football in Europe.

"We have uncovered an extensive criminal network."

So to those idiotic, smug, sarcastic twats who think it's all a bit of a nutjob conspiracy, your imminent apologies will be welcomed.

Oh dear - you really did take our little bout of lighthearted banter to heart,didn't you?
So just one single English game with odd betting patterns points to endemic corruption?
Could those findings actually be any more vague?
'Suspected' means just what it says on the tin.
Not one single arrest has been made.
You'll get an apology from me when folk are successfully prosecuted and spend the foreseeable future sewing mail bags.
And I look forward to you calling me a smug,sarcastic twat in person on March 2nd.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.