Matheus Nunes

He's a body and if injuries, fatigue or loss of form come into play he is still a very decent player.
Last year we had KDB out half a season and no Gundog. He didn't get much of a sniff last year and we had no Gundog and KDB out half the season. He is further down the pecking order now.

The only way I can see him going is if we have someone lined up to come in, as you say, makes no other sense at this stage.

It would have to be someone in that position too. Because we have 2 more squad spaces even with him here (assuming Cancelo is as good as gone).

No Alvarez and No Bobb , so as you were.
I wouldn't use a striker and a wide man as examples for availability in the middle of the park? Gundog has more league minutes in the bank than Nunes already. That is without Rodri cementing his place and Foden not starting as of yet.

I'm not convinced Nunes is useless but clearly he suits Pelligrini ball more than Pep ball. Might not be a bad idea to move him on.

He's a body and if injuries, fatigue or loss of form come into play he is still a very decent player.
He's a body costing us £15m a year.

In contrast, Kaboré is a body costing us £2m a year give or take (maybe slightly more if we want to extend his contract which is running out next summer).

If Pep is really not convinced by Nunes, there is no point keeping him around just to be a cone in training sessions, warm the bench and collect 5 mins per match and the odd dead rubber run-out.

In addition, we have plenty of midfielders in Rodri, Kovacic, Kevin, Foden, Bernardo, Gundogan, McAtee, Rico and even O'Reilly, while there are question marks around Walker's legs (and cock), Rico's best position and Akanji needed as a CB.

He's a body costing us £15m a year.

In contrast, Kaboré is a body costing us £2m a year give or take (maybe slightly more if we want to extend his contract which is running out next summer).

If Pep is really not convinced by Nunes, there is no point keeping him around just to be a cone in training sessions, warm the bench and collect 5 mins per match and the odd dead rubber run-out.

In addition, we have plenty of midfielders in Rodri, Kovacic, Kevin, Foden, Bernardo, Gundogan, McAtee, Rico and even O'Reilly, while there are question marks around Walker's legs (and cock), Rico's best position and Akanji needed as a CB.

Ok, 'capable' body then. And one that is for that position, not a Kabore, who is a RB.

I doubt he is on 15m a year.

There are 21 senior player squad spaces for a reason. We have 19 as it is, with him here. It is a long season, simply moving him on does nothing.

Ok, 'capable' body then. And one that is for that position, not a Kabore, who is a RB.

There are 21 senior player squad spaces for a reason. We have 19 as it is, with him here. It is a long season, simply moving him on does nothing.
I honestly doubt City haven't got options lined up if Nunes is sold or loaned out.

Pep is happy with our squad, but has cautioned we could feasibly play 70+ games this season, so with that being said, I agree we'll need reinforcements.

However, it has to be players who're pushing for a starting place, not squad fillers getting 5 minute run outs in games we've all but won & playing in dead rubber Carabao Cup & CL League games once progression to the knockout rounds has been assured.

Nunes is better than that & City need more than that from a senior player. Pep's had a season to assess Nunes & still doesn't seem to fancy him. I think it's best all round that Matheus moves on, & the same applies to Manchester City.

There's no shame in us getting a player's suitability wrong. Eeez football.

In terms of replacements, we apparently still hold a strong interest in Ezé for around £60m, who's also association trained. He'd be far more useful to us for a difficult season ahead than Nunes being sat on the bench going nowhere fast, plus we also have Echeverri due in January, albeit he's untested at City's level.

He's allegedly on around £5m a year, plus a £10m hit on our accounts per year (£50m fee / 5 year contract).

All I'm saying is that there should be good reasons for keeping a player around that's a £15m financial liability and taking 1 of 17 foreign-trained squad places. Better reasons than simply being a body to chuck in in case of emergency.

Of course, the manager should ultimately decide if he simply needs 'a body', in which case that player could be much cheaper, or if he needs someone who he can trust and who will actually contribute for a similar price.

There's also the argument for Nunes not being content on the fringes and preferring to move somewhere where he can play more regularly, particularly if he has been signalled that his role will be limited this season.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.