Maths for Children

kinkladze10

My little girl is in class one and is struggling on the Maths side of things, I do my best when I can (sperated so that's why I don't do every night) anybody know of any really good techniques or books, items I can buy she's only 4 and a half, and apparently should know the 2 times tables!

Do a google search for maths for four year olds, times tables for kids - there'll be loads.
Otherwise ask at school if there's anything they've got for you.

Don't push her though she'll soon work out that Daddy had a twenty pound note, he bought two magazines at £1.99, two cans of coke at 65p and two bars of chocolate at 44p. That leaves her £13.84 to mither you to death over and get you to spend it on sweets/toys/clothes.

Get her to play games that involve Maths, it then becomes very easy to them.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.gamesgames.com/games/math/math.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.gamesgames.com/games/math/math.html</a>

If you can afford some private tuition then this lot http://www.kumon.co.uk/ have a good reputation.

With times tables though it's really just about repetition. That's the way I learned them and no doubt a few others of a certain age on here. I know 7x9 is 63 and 9x12 is 108 without thinking. I don't need to know why; I just need to know it is.

Yet when my daughter (who has an A in A-Level Maths) did her times tables, they were taught to memorise the result only. So for the 2 times table it was 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. So if she needed to work out 2x6 she had to count 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. and that was at a very good primary school. To me that's completely stupid.

Learning things parrot-fashion may be completely at odds with modern learning methods, where it's seemingly more important for kids to "express" themselves than actually learn facts, but it certainly works for times tables.

Prestwich_Blue said:
If you can afford some private tuition then this lot http://www.kumon.co.uk/ have a good reputation.

With times tables though it's really just about repetition. That's the way I learned them and no doubt a few others of a certain age on here. I know 7x9 is 63 and 9x12 is 108 without thinking. I don't need to know why; I just need to know it is.

Yet when my daughter (who has an A in A-Level Maths) did her times tables, they were taught to memorise the result only. So for the 2 times table it was 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. So if she needed to work out 2x6 she had to count 2, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12. and that was at a very good primary school. To me that's completely stupid.

Learning things parrot-fashion may be completely at odds with modern learning methods, where it's seemingly more important for kids to "express" themselves than actually learn facts, but it certainly works for times tables.

Fully agree PB and in fact once you have the techniques you can multiply much bigger numbers.

The thing about parrot fashion is pattern recognition. For example 7 * 29 = 7*30-7=203<br /><br />-- Mon Mar 26, 2012 5:47 pm --<br /><br />
daveduke67 said:
Do a google search for maths for four year olds, times tables for kids - there'll be loads.
Otherwise ask at school if there's anything they've got for you.

Don't push her though she'll soon work out that Daddy had a twenty pound note, he bought two magazines at £1.99, two cans of coke at 65p and two bars of chocolate at 44p. That leaves her £13.84 to mither you to death over and get you to spend it on sweets/toys/clothes.

Just wait until she hits adolescence and knows what your monthly income on that basis.

Prestwich_Blue said:

Kumon teach using methods which are very different to 'normal' and won't suit all children.

I wouldn't worry about her not knowing times tables at 4, many in my class don't know them and they are older than that.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.