Matt Busby

kippax_blueboy

Family debate

How did we sign Matt Busby. I thought a City Manager went to Liverpool docks to sign him my dad and father in law think not

Who signed Matt Busby to City.

His mother was planning to emigrate around that time but I doubt that he was picked up at Liverpool docks! He was working at a pit in Scotland and playing part time football when he was signed by City.

I love the fact that their celebrated manager played so many games for both us and their greatest rivals.
Great left back for us of course.

FA Cup winner with City in our 2 -1 victory over Portsmouth in 1934.

Anybody who walks away from this club with either over a 150 appearances or a Winner's Medal in his back pocket is a hero in my eyes.

I think this thread needs a bit more respect and a few more posts.

gordondaviesmoustache said:
I heard he wanted to become a fruit boiler.

To my eternal shame, I can never remember which way round they were when we lost the Cup and won the cup so I went into the History section and checked. I came across the fruit boiler story as well.

For everybody else apart from me, Duncan and Oakie and Dave Ewings Back Header who were around back in those days;

The story is that a bloke from the council called on Matt Busby doing the census and asked what he did for a living and with his thick, heavy, scottish accent, the council employee interpreted "Footballer" as fruit boiler.

I believe along with some of the other City players he was not impressed with the way the club was run. He thought the training methods were antiquated and that there was no desire to produce their own players.

When he went into management he put into practise his own ideas and the rest is history.

See what we could have won!

Busby played half back not left back.Liverpool refused his offer of managing them so could have been no busby babes and plane crash.if he had come to us as manager,I reckon we could have won far more.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.