Matt Le Tissier

Famous saying applies here “ there are no sentiments in Football “ Shearer was a fantastic number 9 but left the game with an underwhelming career his talent never showed... at the end of the day in any sport it’s medals and trophies which will define you when you finish playing..
Steven Gerrard once said “ if I went to Chelsea and won five League titles it would never match the feat of winning one with Liverpool “ fine words but in ten or 15 years time can Gerrard as good as he was ever be compared to players in his position like Xavi or Inniesta who won about seven league titles and three or four European Cups.. never .. but if he played for Chelsea he could of matched them or been close.. same with Shearer never reached the heights or levels of Shevchenko, Raul, Romario or Ronaldo but could of been close if he signed for United as they would of given him the consistant platform to match those players whereas Newcastle were just a flash in the pan.
True.....but he was never going to the scum ;) .....as much as he wanted to.

Im not so sure. Their chance was 96, especially with the lead they had and that infamous Rags game where they couldnt score despite chance after chance. Similar to Blackburn’s chance was 95 (luckily they took it). They both fell away quickly/badly straight after, didnt have the quality to sustain it year after year.

If you look player for player, Newcastle were a mile off that Rag team, all over the pitch!! Only Ferdinand/Ginola had any chance of getting in the Rags team…
I don’t think the gap was that big it was the signing of Asprillia that probably did for them :( they either needed a destroyer in midfielder or a decent centre back to get them over the line ............

I don’t think the gap was that big it was the signing of Asprillia that probably did for them :( they either needed a destroyer in midfielder or a decent centre back to get them over the line ............
Upfront they were ok, with Beardsley/Ginola/Ferdinand/asprilla with shearer joining the season after. But their midfield/defence/goalkeeper were several rungs below that Rags team of 95/96

Schmeichel > Srnicek/Hislop
Neville > Watson
Pallister > Howey
Bruce > Peacock
Irwin > Beresford
Beckham > Gillespie
Giggs/ginola not much in it but Giggs scored 6 more in the league
Keane > Clark
Scholes > Lee
Cantona > Beardsley
Ferdinand better than Cole that season

They were a mile off that Rags team, imo!!

Famous saying applies here “ there are no sentiments in Football “ Shearer was a fantastic number 9 but left the game with an underwhelming career his talent never showed... at the end of the day in any sport it’s medals and trophies which will define you when you finish playing..
Steven Gerrard once said “ if I went to Chelsea and won five League titles it would never match the feat of winning one with Liverpool “ fine words but in ten or 15 years time can Gerrard as good as he was ever be compared to players in his position like Xavi or Inniesta who won about seven league titles and three or four European Cups.. never .. but if he played for Chelsea he could of matched them or been close.. same with Shearer never reached the heights or levels of Shevchenko, Raul, Romario or Ronaldo but could of been close if he signed for United as they would of given him the consistant platform to match those players whereas Newcastle were just a flash in the pan.
Mate, you don't need trophies to prove you were a great player, if so, why are people having this conversation?

Alan Shearer achieved everything he ever wanted at league level, superb footballer and a god in Newcastle. Happy days.

Upfront they were ok, with Beardsley/Ginola/Ferdinand/asprilla with shearer joining the season after. But their midfield/defence/goalkeeper were several rungs below that Rags team of 95/96

Schmeichel > Srnicek/Hislop
Neville > Watson
Pallister > Howey
Bruce > Peacock
Irwin > Beresford
Beckham > Gillespie
Giggs/ginola not much in it but Giggs scored 6 more in the league
Keane > Clark
Scholes > Lee
Cantona > Beardsley
Ferdinand better than Cole that season

They were a mile off that Rags team, imo!!
That team wasn’t facing United every week was it ????? And didn’t that team get a right battering off them the season after ?????
All I’m saying was that team was good enough to win the league and with the gap they had they should have it was sadly down to Keegan that they didn’t ........... now don’t get me wrong as you all know his football was amazing to watch but tactically he was not anywhere near the top level managers

Mate, you don't need trophies to prove you were a great player, if so, why are people having this conversation?

Alan Shearer achieved everything he ever wanted at league level, superb footballer and a god in Newcastle. Happy days.
Ok.. if you don’t need trophies or titles to say how good you were as a player then how do you determine levels ?
Also are you telling me in sport players who never won those titles or trophies are the same level as players or teams who did win them, your putting Tim Henmen on same footing as Federer.. Frank Bruno same as Mike Tyson even Blackburn.. Leeds and Liverpool on same level as United or Chelsea through the Premiership years...
sorry for me it’s all about levels and you can’t seriously put Gerrard and Shearer with there one solitary Champions League and Premier League titles they won in there careers on the same footing as players who won four.. five or six of those trophies consistantly..
Not saying they were not great players but deffo not proper world class in my book because sacrificed there careers for home town clubs who were not good enough.

A lot of what he’s got to say recently isn’t all wrong per se, I’ve no problem listening to alternative view points. Only naive people live in an echo chamber.

It’s just if you have a real sense of morality, you would be speaking your mind for years. Seems he was ok suppressing his morals and views when Sky were paying him though.

I think he’s just trying to carve out a new career to a different demographic.

Anyway, very talented player in his day, scored some of the greatest premier league goals ever.

Wait a minute. So he open;y admits he was rubbish at school. But now things everyone should listen to him because he knows things?

What a whopper

Well Bill Gates didn’t graduate university but he seems to be the be all and end all of knowledge when it comes to viruses, Despite having absolutely no medical background or higher education. People seem to listen to him for some reason.

Ironic really when his own operating system for computers is the least effective at fighting viruses.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.