Matt Smith

The thing is, he was actually a goal scorer in the u16s, and in his first year in the u18s he scored a couple of beauties too. There's so much more to his game than just running and tackling and I think that's a large part of then problem with the current academy coaches like Davies. So much of his ability has been shackled and it's pretty frustrating to watch. Turning him into a water carrier when he genuinely is so much more... but that's Davies for you.

I remember his passing being wonderful in the first u18 season, really capable of playing perfect diagonals out to Sancho on the wing or sliding through balls from deep. On the other hand, good to learn the defensive stuff because he'd have to be a #6 in the current senior side system.

I'm sure if Pep ever gets his hands on him the exciting creative and goalscoring side will come out again because he'll be expected to do more.

Incidentally do we know how much he and the likes of Doyle and Felix Nmetcha, Iker Pozo have been involved in first team training? Last year we hear a lot about Pep bringing Sancho, Brahim, Foden, Latibeudiere into sessions but I've not heard anything like that this season.

The thing is, he was actually a goal scorer in the u16s, and in his first year in the u18s he scored a couple of beauties too. There's so much more to his game than just running and tackling and I think that's a large part of then problem with the current academy coaches like Davies. So much of his ability has been shackled and it's pretty frustrating to watch. Turning him into a water carrier when he genuinely is so much more... but that's Davies for you.
I see Davies criticised a lot and I wouldn't know, but genuine question why do you think Txiki has kept him there ?

I remember his passing being wonderful in the first u18 season, really capable of playing perfect diagonals out to Sancho on the wing or sliding through balls from deep. On the other hand, good to learn the defensive stuff because he'd have to be a #6 in the current senior side system.

I'm sure if Pep ever gets his hands on him the exciting creative and goalscoring side will come out again because he'll be expected to do more.

Incidentally do we know how much he and the likes of Doyle and Felix Nmetcha, Iker Pozo have been involved in first team training? Last year we hear a lot about Pep bringing Sancho, Brahim, Foden, Latibeudiere into sessions but I've not heard anything like that this season.

18s are involved with training all the time. Seen Tommy Doyle tweet about it, likewise Matondo. From what I can gather, they kinda rotate and 3 will go in at a time to make up the numbers.

He's a yes man.
That can't be just it though , surely Pep and Txiki want someone coaching the players properly too. I understand they want someone that does things their way but surely someone doing things their way well would be better for everyone.

That can't be just it though , surely Pep and Txiki want someone coaching the players properly too. I understand they want someone that does things their way but surely someone doing things their way well would be better for everyone.

Indeed. City's way seems to disappear at the u23s where the players go in on themselves. There's a pattern so its baffling. Davies is moving upstairs to help Wilcox with running the loan ship anyway i think so we'll be getting a new coach anyway.

Indeed. City's way seems to disappear at the u23s where the players go in on themselves. There's a pattern so its baffling. Davies is moving upstairs to help Wilcox with running the loan ship anyway i think so we'll be getting a new coach anyway.
Lampard ? I suppose some of the continuity is always going to be lost at u23 with players training with the first team and going off on loan but you would expect the players there to continue improving and playing the City way. Hopefully things will improve next season.

Lampard ? I suppose some of the continuity is always going to be lost at u23 with players training with the first team and going off on loan but you would expect the players there to continue improving and playing the City way. Hopefully things will improve next season.

Paul Simpson being considered apparently. Lampard actually a genuine consideration for the u18s, which I presumed was bullshit.

Paul Simpson being considered apparently. Lampard actually a genuine consideration for the u18s, which I presumed was bullshit.

I'm norally really skeptical of former famous players getting given jobs, but for some reason I feel like Lampard would be a good choice. Pep seems to really respect old former players, and an intelligent midfielder would make sense on a basic level. Tommy Doyle learning from Lampard sounds like a nice story.

He's also got a relatively large public profile, going on sky and MOTD, and it would be nice to have someone going to bat for us on TV.

I'm norally really skeptical of former famous players getting given jobs, but for some reason I feel like Lampard would be a good choice. Pep seems to really respect old former players, and an intelligent midfielder would make sense on a basic level. Tommy Doyle learning from Lampard sounds like a nice story.

He's also got a relatively large public profile, going on sky and MOTD, and it would be nice to have someone going to bat for us on TV.

In terms of former players being given high profile jobs I would have more respect for the likes of Lampard (like Vieira or Gerrard) starting with U18s and going from there. How often do former players moan about not being given top jobs without at least doing some form of apprenticeship. Unlike Gerrard, Lampard comes across as intelligent and articulate. I was very impressed with his professionalism and intelligence in his short spell at City.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.