Matthijs de Ligt

I couldn't agree most with this post. Who are we to slate PSG for spending money. Robinho, Adebayor, Tevez and Silva wouldn't have come if it wasn't for the money. We wouldn't be where we are without the money, yet because we've won a few league titles we look down on a Club doing the exact same as us. It's laughable.

We've changed our business model, our transfer strategy is more measured and you'll get fans on here slating others for spending big amounts of money. If the shoe was on the other foot, you wouldn't hear a word.

I don't want to become another Liverpool banging on about net spend, if we spend 150m on one player I couldn't care less. Some of our fans on here are starting to believe that you've got to spend in a certain way or else it doesn't count, and that's mainly down to the media bullying us that we have to do things the "right way". I don't really want to become another Arsenal in doing it the "right way". We've got to stop trying to conform to what everyone is telling us and spend our money how we want to spend it, and not how are being told to do so. Our club and some of our fans are starting to believe in this "right way" whilst PSG and Real Madrid are battering the transfer market and are putting 2 fingers up to Uefa. When they end up with a Champions League, who cares? They won't get a ban regardless.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

You do make a point. I'm not opposed to spending big. I'm one who doesn't slate any other team for doing so. However, I do understand what our board or should I say Pep wants to do. I say Pep because ever since he came the business model has changed. It's because of him. I'm sure of it. Pep wants a big squad not only to compete on all fronts, but because he know you will have injuries even to your big players and you can't let that be an excuse. KDB was injured almost all season and we coped by doing a domestic treble.

We will spend a fair share on transfer fees, but it's known that there is a wage structure. We've seen it as why we balked at Sanchez. The wage structure has some merit especially when it comes to FFP. If you bring in any new player, like De Ligt, and give them a high wage (say £300,000 a week), when it comes time to renew their contract that number will only go up. It will never go down. It makes sense what we are doing right now in giving the biggest salaries to the older players who will then be on their way out. Of course we still give a good wage to key players as well who have proved themselves, but if you give high wages to every player then you will not have a deep squad. Regardless what anyone thinks it is impossible to comply with FFP by paying high transfer fees for players and high salaries while having a deep squad. You will not be able to do this year upon year.

A club like PSG is deciding to go for big players. That's up to them. Neymar, Mbappe, now maybe De Ligt. Fine. To comply with FFP they are having to do things like having Choupa-Moting as a back up striker. They sign players on a free like Herrera and like they did with Buffon and Lassana Diarra. They also have to sell players just to meet with FFP. Like I said that's their choice to go that route, but they do not have a deep squad as us. I'm sure of it.

For me it's not about a player choosing Pep or money, but more so how we plan our transfer strategy. For example De Ligt at £60m transfer fee + £300,000 a week for a 3 year contract adds up to £110,400,000m. After the 3 years you will then have to pay him even more to keep him.
I'm not saying we should get Maguire, but for comparison purposes Maguire for £80m transfer fee + a 3 year contract of £80,000 per week for example would be £93,440,000m. Then if he plays well you pay him more, but not nearly as much. This is why I believe we are doing business the way we are. The money can be used on the transfer fees instead of wages and we can still get a deep squad. Maybe not as many world class ready players, but a deep squad none the less.

Last edited:
You do make a point. I'm not opposed to spending big. I'm one who doesn't slate any other team for doing so. However, I do understand what our board or should I say Pep wants to do. I say Pep because ever since he came the business model has changed. It's because of him. I'm sure of it. Pep wants a big squad not only to compete on all fronts, but because he know you will have injuries even to your big players and you can't let that be an excuse. KDB was injured almost all season and we coped by doing a domestic treble.

We will spend a fair share on transfer fees, but it's know that there is a wage structure. We've seen it as why we balked at Sanchez. The wage structure has some merit especially when it comes to FFP. If you bring in any new player, like De Ligt, and give them a high wage (say £300,000 a week), when it comes time to renew their contract that number will only go up. It will never go down. It makes sense what we are doing right now in giving the biggest salaries to the older players who will then be on their way out. Of course we still give a good wage to key players as well who have proved themselves,* but if you give high wages to every player then you will not have a deep squad. Regardless what anyone thinks it is impossible to comply with FFP by paying high transfer fees for players and high salaries while having a deep squad. You will not be able to do this year upon year.

A club like PSG is deciding to go for big players. That's up to them. Neymar, Mbappe, now maybe De Ligt. Fine. To comply with FFP they are having to do things like having Choupa-Moting as a back up striker. They sign players on a free like Herrera and like they did with Buffon and Lassana Diarra. They also have to sell players just to meet with FFP. Like I said that's their choice to go that route, but they do not have a deep squad as us. I'm sure of it.

For me it's not about a player choosing Pep or money, but more so how we plan our transfer strategy. For example De Ligt at £60m transfer fee + £300,000 a week for a 3 year contract adds up to £110,400,000m. After the 3 years you will then have to pay him even more to keep him.
I'm not saying we should get Maguire, but for comparison purposes Maguire for £80m transfer fee + a 3 year contract of £80,000 per week for example would be £93,440,000m. Then if he plays well you pay him more, but not nearly as much. This is why I believe we are doing business the way we are. The money can be used on the transfer fees instead of wages and we can still get a deep squad. Maybe not as many world class ready players, but a deep squad none the less.

* you become just like the rags !

Our structure will have more to do with individual and squad success. I would wager that if we have a repeat of last season then a good percentage of our players will earn more than Sanchez. Reward success.

Not gonna be bitter like the rags are now ever since He is heavily linked with psg. Best of luck to him unless they face us. He is a quality young player maybe once in a generation type of defender. Wish I could see him develop under pep. But tuchel is a good manager to playing an attractive style

I hope we made an offer regardless. Something on the table Ajax might accept and a whatever we're willing to offer him as a player. Take it or leave it, you could be a City player if you want to. If he still fancies going to the Uber Eats Ligue 1 or Barca then fair enough, I'd just like to know that we made an offer.

Tolmie just mentioned , we may have some news... interesting we are not even mentioned here...all in the background ?

He's probably the player I most want to see in City
But if he rejected Barcelona it must be because of the money so I do not think it will happen :(

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.