Maybe we should make no signings

I think it is an interesting question but the premise that none of the other top teams will sign anyone is flawed.
Last season was great but it was very much a question of papering over the cracks and Pep and co deserve enormous credit for how successful we were with so many of our forwards either unfit or completely out of form. Our goalscoring output was well down on previous seasons.

We could not expect Gundo to match his goalscoring exploits of last year but surely Raheem and Jesus would play better and Torres may be ready for a bigger role.

If all our players stayed fit and in form I would fancy us to win the league again but that is unlikely to happen. Some reinforcements are necessary but they would not necessarily need to be club record signings. It would be great to get more youngsters in but I feel that it would be too early for the likes of Cole, Delap and Lavia to play big parts in the season although hopefully they will all get some time with the first team.

"If you're not moving forward you're simply standing still" All our rivals will be moving forwards. So no, we need to make a couple of signings. We need a top quality forward, a new winger to replace Sterling and possibly a left back to replace Mendy and give Zinc some competition.

Yes keep everyone and promote Delap and Palmer. Couid live with that.

What inaccuracies. The question is really what is the worst that can happen if we don't make any big signings? No team is gonna buy Kane and Lukaku and Grealish

How worse off will we really be assuming that we have the likes of Palmer and Delap supplementing the squad.

Top 4 fight. Chelsea, United, Liverpool even Leicester will strengthen. Can't put pressure on a kid in Delap to lead the front line. Also false 9 will not work next year teams will follow Chelseas example on how to combat it and work us out. Striker 100 percent needed. Grealish adds more to our attack which was sometimes toothless last season.

I don't get this. You will be happy with no titles just so we can play some academy? Why?
A belief in those players. A belief that the roots of a club are important. A desire to stop spending hundreds of millions every season and take a chance on one academy player per match. The buzz of seeing one of our own blossom. Remembering why I used to go to Maine Road to see players I identified with.

There are many reasons but, fundamentally, I think we won't suffer and will be better off in the long term.

Problem is we do not only need to replace any outgoings, we need to improve the squad as will rivals.

Bernardo off and Grealish in imo is just a replacement not much of an improvement of the squad, and risk is Grealish might not even live up to City's standard while Bernardo would be a stable part of the squad for years if he would not want to leave.

Generally we were rubbish since Mancini years in transfer window after we had a great season. And generally we had a shit one after winning the league.
We would have not signed Dias imo had we not failed in 2019-2020 PL season so badly.

we need to be ruthless in the market, and even sell players after they had a good season like Mahrez who is not likely to repeat is and also getting on as per age...
Replace him with someone younger and hungry.

Aguero is off, replace him with a top striker who is hungry for trophies.

Mendy/Zinchenko LB situation could be sorted for years but again looks like we are happy to risk these two.

With the transfer threads wondering whether we should buy Kane, Lukaku, Grealish , Haaland and God knows how many others, what is the worst that can happen if we don't sign anyone.

We are currently the best team in England and arguably the best team in Europe.
Liverpool and United don't appear to be actively lookng for anyone, maybe Sancho to United.
Barcelona and Madrid haven't the finances to buy a top name.
PSG and Bayern are probably OK up front.
Haaland won't go to Bayern as long as Lewandowski is there.
If we get Haaland , for example, great but if we don't what are the consequences
We're currently the best side in all football - I'd agree.

But sides around us are improving.

And, even if you're the best side, by chance, you might not win - we lost the FA cup and inexplicably the Champion's League.
===
Rest on your laurels - and you are doomed.
===
We must improve.

Grealish I think is a must as we will lose B. Silva because he's unhappy with social life in Manchester.

Beyond that - I hope we sign a top or upcoming defensive midfielder to take the place of Fernandinho once he leaves.

And, honestly, I think that we should sign a top striker - Haaland first choice - this next window. Kane second choice - but I'd highly deprioritize Kane - because Levy is a motherfucker to trade with.

Intentionally pursing a policy of no major signings is a recipe for finishing 2nd or worst in the P/L and losing cup competitions.

Your competitors are continuously improving - if you fail to take this threat seriously and instead wish to rest on your laurels - in all likelihood there will be no laurels upon which to rest next season.

When you're on top you should stamp on every other ****'s head as hard as you can.

Previous summers where we've been a bit powder puff after success have allowed others back in.

Imo that was purely FFP related.

We've defeated that now.

If there was ever a perfect time to stick the boot in as hard as possible, its this summer.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.