Mayweather vs. Canelo Thread

SkyBlueUSA said:
Jumanji said:
tweetstreet said:
One of the best of this era yes one of the best of all time not quite. He wouldn't be in my top 10.

He wins this fight though, Canelo needs to do so much more in this fight than he's done before, he needs to bring Hatton stamina/work rate, with de la Hoya ring smarts not sure he can throw 100 punches a round and even if he can he needs to be doing so with the ring cut off.
For me, Mayweather is the best defensive boxer of all time.

Willie Pep, Nicolino Locche, Wilfired Benitez, and Pernell Whitaker. Though, Floyd Mayweather is in the conversation.

The above is correct. Floyd is up in the top ten for best defensive fighter of all time but not best fighter of all time. Although he hasn't been tested to the level we need to see in order to ascertain whether he could adjust accordingly if for example he came up a cagey defensive fighter who would make him work offensively or someone who could walk him down effectively and cut off the ring (de la Hoya came close and a year or 2 earlier we may have seen a different result).

Your Armstrongs, Ali's and sugar rays all had this ability to change and fight more than one fight in a match, maybe it's because floyd hasn't been tested, the opposition isn't there or he's simply that good defensively but I'm not convinced he has that get out of jail card in his pocket if For example his legs have given a bit on Saturday and Canelo is cutting the ring off and working him the whole round what floyd will come back with as I don't think he has the power to deter Canelo.

For the record any of the 4 kings would have been nightmare fights for floyd IMO. Fighting in that era he would almost certainly not be unbeaten.

SkyBlueUSA said:
Jumanji said:
tweetstreet said:
One of the best of this era yes one of the best of all time not quite. He wouldn't be in my top 10.

He wins this fight though, Canelo needs to do so much more in this fight than he's done before, he needs to bring Hatton stamina/work rate, with de la Hoya ring smarts not sure he can throw 100 punches a round and even if he can he needs to be doing so with the ring cut off.

Willie Pep, Nicolino Locche, Wilfired Benitez, and Pernell Whitaker. Though, Floyd Mayweather is in the conversation.

Willie Pep, Sugar Ray, Duran and Floyd.......

Davs 19 said:
BoyBlue_1985 said:
Canelo wont win. Only a couple of people had the ability to beat Mayweather and he managed to dodge them. Should be a good fight though depends what sort of mentality Canelo has, if he goes chasing Mayweather he could be done in 6 rounds.

I'm intrigued. Who's Mayweather dodged ? Please don't say Pacquiao or I'lll wet myself laughing....

He did dodge Cotto and Margarito during his first retirement.

He lost the first fight to Jose Luis Castillo, 100%. To be fair he won the rematch.

He did avoid Pac. The best version was after Hatton, he wanted no part of that version. He now beat Pac all day every day.

Floyd is not the best of all time. I resent that statement. Unless you have watched all fighters since Greb, Armstrong, Roy Robinson, RJJ, Leonard and Duran.

Floyd is a tremendous fighter, easily the best of his generation but he is not the best of all time. Robinson is.

The biggest problem with Floyd is he took Leonards attitude to boxing as a showman and cash cow and ran with it. However he never had the defining opponents that Leonard had. He has no Duran, Hearn or Hagler on his record.

Robinsons style was what Ali followed, he Ince fought and beat an opponent and then fought La Motta just two weeks later. Went right through divisions when there was just one champ and fought everybody and anybody. KO power in both hands, pure composite punch technique, speed, footwork, great chin, stamina, ring IQ, punch variation. He had it all but what he had most was the heart of a true fighter. None of this fight once a year stuff. He fought as often possible against the relevant fighters at the time. He's beaten great fighters in great form with no excuses.

The only thing Floyd has over him is an '0' but as I said. He doesn't even have that if you watch Castillo v FMJ 1.

As for this fight there's an adage in boxing that a good big man always beats a good smaller man. That would be true and could well be but Floyd can set traps Cabell has never seen. He will walk onto combinations he's only ever seen in video. He's fought nobody, and I mean nobody to even come close to this level of talent. Mayweather points is my punt. Only way Alvarez wins this is if he likes on 15+pounds overnight after weigh in and bullies Mayweather up close. Don't fight at range, take it to the corners and rip his body out with body shots.<br /><br />-- Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:48 pm --<br /><br />
Davs 19 said:
SkyBlueUSA said:
Jumanji said:

Willie Pep, Sugar Ray, Duran and Floyd.......

Sweat Pea is the one Mayweather took his style from. He is the shoulder roll master.

tweetstreet said:
SkyBlueUSA said:
Jumanji said:

The above is correct. Floyd is up in the top ten for best defensive fighter of all time but not best fighter of all time. Although he hasn't been tested to the level we need to see in order to ascertain whether he could adjust accordingly if for example he came up a cagey defensive fighter who would make him work offensively or someone who could walk him down effectively and cut off the ring (de la Hoya came close and a year or 2 earlier we may have seen a different result).

Your Armstrongs, Ali's and sugar rays all had this ability to change and fight more than one fight in a match, maybe it's because floyd hasn't been tested, the opposition isn't there or he's simply that good defensively but I'm not convinced he has that get out of jail card in his pocket if For example his legs have given a bit on Saturday and Canelo is cutting the ring off and working him the whole round what floyd will come back with as I don't think he has the power to deter Canelo.

For the record any of the 4 kings would have been nightmare fights for floyd IMO. Fighting in that era he would almost certainly not be unbeaten.

Agree. I think Floyd beats Hagler. Hearn poses biggest test as he could take Floyds head clean off with a shot, his range and height is a big problem for Floyd. Duran wouldn't have been deterred at all and posed the most danger to Floyd. Leonard would have been the best talent matchup.

A fighter who would have made an excellent opponent for Floyd is Paul Williams. Shame that fight never happened, just before he was to fight Canelo the poor bastard fell off a motorbike. That would have been a FOTY candidate 100%

I think we'll know who'll win within the first couple of rounds.

Canelo needs to be a lot quicker, more mobile and in your face, than he has been throughout his career. If he gets on the front foot straight away and plants a few bombs into Mayweather's body, regardless of whether Mayweather defends a few of them, Mayweather will then become very wary of Canelo's power, and may make him think twice about unloading himself, in order to avoid getting caught with headshots.

If Canelo is hesitant early on, Floyd will walk it, with a wide UD.

Floyd wont really have to change his gameplan for this. It's Canelo who will.

Mayweather to win via UD.

It will be a lot closer than people think. IF Money can dictate the speed of the fight he wins it easy. IF Canelo can get close to land a few bombs then there is a chance of a KO win for Canelo. I am honestly on the fence. I think this fight for Canelo is 1 fight too early for me. I think he should of went with a tune up fight against a a pure boxer as he is up against a Master of this generation of fighters. Its going to be a brilliant fight and thats for sure. I wouldnt be shocked if they were to do it again. I think if Money is going to get beaten this is the guy who could well do it. Young hungry loin and there will come a time when the age will catch up with Money its going to happen sooner rather than later in my view. Will hopefully find a stream to watch this fight.

NipHolmes said:
tweetstreet said:
SkyBlueUSA said:

Agree. I think Floyd beats Hagler. Hearn poses biggest test as he could take Floyds head clean off with a shot, his range and height is a big problem for Floyd. Duran wouldn't have been deterred at all and posed the most danger to Floyd. Leonard would have been the best talent matchup.

A fighter who would have made an excellent opponent for Floyd is Paul Williams. Shame that fight never happened, just before he was to fight Canelo the poor bastard fell off a motorbike. That would have been a FOTY candidate 100%

i would agree that he would of beat Hagler but i think his biggest threat would of been Leonard, ok Hearns could land that big shot but i think if they fought 10 times Floyd wins most of them, for me though leonard was just as quick hit harder and was more aggressive so would take the rounds on the scorecards, Mayweather v Duran at lightweight is 65-35 in Durans favour but he is my all time favourite so i might be biased,

Jumanji said:
tweetstreet said:

Correct. Jumanji

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.