Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Some one doesn't look happy , nicked of @agentfraudy
2322dea79c3dfdba2b31e6eb07013040.jpg

Gary James can problem answer that for you, anecdotally of course.
I wouldn't have a clue to be honest. Some are obviously biased - let's not forget that Ian Cheeseman worked for the BBC and was definitely a Blue (I've no issue with this at all), so if Ian was and he admitted it of course then undoubtedly others will be too. Some are employed by newspapers with certain policies - no newspaper is totally free of bias no matter what they say. A newspaper will always promote the views of its editor or owner or the organisations that advertise in it. Basically, anyone employed has to toe the line or become a whistle blower or dismissed. If you're freelance then you will sell your work to an organisation that wants to publish that kind of material.

Academic writers, like myself, will often claim they are impartial etc. and it is true that our work gets peer-reviewed before it's published or rejected from academic journals. However, some academics are known to be employed by universities (who will also want to keep their financial backers happy) and others have bias, so it's a difficult world to find truth in. I am not employed by anyone or any university. I am totally free and publish for the love of it. I struggle to make a living but I'm content with my output. Sometimes I do freelance work for football clubs, such as the badge consultation at MCFC (I've also done work with MUFC, LFC and LCFC, plus other organisations like the NFM), but I always try to ensure I remain free. For example, I am not MCFC's official historian as that would mean I'm less able to remain free to voice my opinions. I am a City fan but I research and write about all clubs and need to retain my academic freedom - ignore the crap that some journalists have said about me recently. I am not employed by a football club and never have been (even the work with City when I set up the museum and tour back in 2002 to Jan 2009 was on a freelance basis, a couple of days a week and I have never been on MCFC's payroll). I've never been invited to any of these end of season homecoming celebrations either - I stand on the streets as any other fan does - but some media/writers do of course.

Finding any neutral, reliable source is difficult. For me it's all about researching, finding evidence, interpreting it, triangulation and reaching conclusions. For others it seems to be about jumping to conclusions and assuming guilt. I do find it ironic when fans of a certain club are quick to believe everything negative written about City or City fans yet they themselves have been portrayed incorrectly in, often, the same newspapers.

I wouldn't have a clue to be honest. Some are obviously biased - let's not forget that Ian Cheeseman worked for the BBC and was definitely a Blue (I've no issue with this at all), so if Ian was and he admitted it of course then undoubtedly others will be too. Some are employed by newspapers with certain policies - no newspaper is totally free of bias no matter what they say. A newspaper will always promote the views of its editor or owner or the organisations that advertise in it. Basically, anyone employed has to toe the line or become a whistle blower or dismissed. If you're freelance then you will sell your work to an organisation that wants to publish that kind of material.

Academic writers, like myself, will often claim they are impartial etc. and it is true that our work gets peer-reviewed before it's published or rejected from academic journals. However, some academics are known to be employed by universities (who will also want to keep their financial backers happy) and others have bias, so it's a difficult world to find truth in. I am not employed by anyone or any university. I am totally free and publish for the love of it. I struggle to make a living but I'm content with my output. Sometimes I do freelance work for football clubs, such as the badge consultation at MCFC (I've also done work with MUFC, LFC and LCFC, plus other organisations like the NFM), but I always try to ensure I remain free. For example, I am not MCFC's official historian as that would mean I'm less able to remain free to voice my opinions. I am a City fan but I research and write about all clubs and need to retain my academic freedom - ignore the crap that some journalists have said about me recently. I am not employed by a football club and never have been (even the work with City when I set up the museum and tour back in 2002 to Jan 2009 was on a freelance basis, a couple of days a week and I have never been on MCFC's payroll). I've never been invited to any of these end of season homecoming celebrations either - I stand on the streets as any other fan does - but some media/writers do of course.

Finding any neutral, reliable source is difficult. For me it's all about researching, finding evidence, interpreting it, triangulation and reaching conclusions. For others it seems to be about jumping to conclusions and assuming guilt. I do find it ironic when fans of a certain club are quick to believe everything negative written about City or City fans yet they themselves have been portrayed incorrectly in, often, the same newspapers.
Top man, I’m shocked you don’t make a good living from your talent but always enjoy your contributions, cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.