Media coverage 2018/19

Status
Not open for further replies.
Regarding Rabin tearing Barney a new one, am I right in thinking that Barney was more than happy to go gallivanting around Dubai a few years back when reporting on the touring England cricket team?

Yes, but there's nothing wrong with being out there to report on something. That is their job - to take an extreme example, Sam Collins and Jarrod Kimber were also in Dubai when making Death of a Gentleman, it doesn't make them apologists for anything.

The point about Ronay is that he's highly selective about his targets. And it's fair to wonder why. There are a lot of questions that they aren't liking being asked - one thing Ewan McKenna was right about was all the hospitality being accepted by the media. You can even ask whether any of it has been declared to HMRC - some of it probably should have been.

There are a lot of questions that they aren't liking being asked - one thing Ewan McKenna was right about was all the hospitality being accepted by the media. You can even ask whether any of it has been declared to HMRC - some of it probably should have been.
Ewan will now be operating on the back of that endorsement for a few years...

You will have a better understanding of the region, that’s for sure but I don’t think you can say hand on heart you know that Qatar as a State didn’t sponsor ISIS. Guess we will have to agree to disagree.
Well I can say (hand on heart) that I trust the British, French, German, Canadian and US intelligence services, that Qatar does not state sponsor ISIS.

And again I’ll say, it’s besides the point, ISIS and their funding had nothing to do with the blockade. ISIS weren’t a threat to Saudi Arabia (the driver of the blockade), the House of Saud (in particular the murderous - at the time newly crowned - Crown Prince) felt threatened that the Muslim Brotherhood would make the people of Saudi Arabia feel emboldened enough to call for democratic elections, a la Egypt in the Arab Spring.

I know this to be fact as it was rumbling along well prior to the blockade beginning and my sources are first hand high profile sources in the QIA. But for Rex Tillerson and a huge bastard American airbase in the country, Saudi would have attempted to do to Qatar what Russia managed in the Ukraine.

Well I can say (hand on heart) that I trust the British, French, German, Canadian and US intelligence services, that Qatar does not state sponsor ISIS.

And again I’ll say, it’s besides the point, ISIS and their funding had nothing to do with the blockade. ISIS weren’t a threat to Saudi Arabia (the driver of the blockade), the House of Saud (in particular the murderous - at the time newly crowned - Crown Prince) felt threatened that the Muslim Brotherhood would make the people of Saudi Arabia feel emboldened enough to call for democratic elections, a la Egypt in the Arab Spring.

I know this to be fact as it was rumbling along well prior to the blockade beginning and my sources are first hand high profile sources in the QIA. But for Rex Tillerson and a huge bastard American airbase in the country, Saudi would have attempted to do to Qatar what Russia managed in the Ukraine.
Absolutely spot. Long may they stay.

It’s a matter of opinion and debate, you have your reasons others also have an argument, it’s not black and white, as I said, agree to disagree.
https://foreignpolicy.com/2018/08/15/trump-will-regret-changing-his-mind-about-qatar/

I don't really care either way, but I'd not be surprised at all if that Rabin bloke is some City based plant. He's this absolutely brutal hurricane taking em down one by one and it is quite mental to sit and watch really. He really has rattled them to an amazing level. I've never seen a reaction quite like it. It's funny though to be honest, mainly cos I feel for absolutely none of the press pack involved as they're sadly increasingly smug and dismissive. There's a real nasty tone to some of them when people dare to question the validity of their arguments. It's become very, very ugly and even people who try and discuss things reasonably with them, without resorting to any insults or anything, are getting blocked or pithy put downs.

There's an increasing sense of them actually believing that they're the arbiters of moral decency, despite being totally and blissfully unaware of their own hypocrisies. Whataboutery is usually an annoying argument tactic, but in this context it makes a lot of sense, as most of these articles are written around fans being bad people and being complicit for simply following their club still. In this instance whataboutery is a perfectly good counter argument, given who pays them, what they've done and how we're literally all guilty of supporting or taking money from morally questionable sources and things. This idea that City fans are meant to be the ones that change everything, and if we don't, we're somehow worse than everyone else is just incredibly unfair and intentionally myopic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.