Media persecution of Raheem Sterling

Looking through social media, I'd say that Raheem has got about a 95% positive rating from this, only a tiny minority are siding with the Sun, Piers Morgan, Daily Mail etc. They may not care of course as its traffic regardless, but they have completely misjudged most people who can actually think and rationalise for themselves.

Went on a club tour a few months ago and the idea of banning press came up. The official word is that press can, basically, say what they like unless it is a lie. Only then will the club comment.

All this claptrap going on comes under the heading 'comments' and therefore will not be commented on. These newspapers want the club to comment as this will make more headlines and extend the debate.

I have never met Raheem Sterling but I have read that he is a polite, decent person. He lost his father at 2 and appears to have taken good care of his mother who has obviously had to make endless sacrifices to bring up her son on her own. The fact that he has made it as a footballer is incredible on its own.

He is, however, a brilliant footballer who has contributed hugely to one of the best seasons ever while being unrelenting booed by every single opposition crowd in England. He has being attacked remorselessly by the Sun and the Daily Mail with vicious and vindictive "stories" since he signed for City with coverage that in most parts is barely disguised racism targeting a successful, young black man.

He is obviously a better man than most because he has never let them get to him, or at least never let it appear that they have.

A man who has had to work hard out of such difficult circumstances, Jamaica is a very tough place everywhere bar the resorts, should be a role model to youngsters everywhere, work hard, believe in yourself and you can achieve so much. But he isn't celebrated, he's vilified because of the colour of his skin.

I would love to see the ingrained racism of the redtops called out because that's what it is.

Raheem is an inspiration and I hope some day, some one other than City fans, give him the credit which he so richly deserves.

Don't have an account? Register now and see fewer ads!

Back
  AdBlock Detected
Bluemoon relies on advertising to pay our hosting fees. Please support the site by disabling your ad blocking software to help keep the forum sustainable. Thanks.