Media Thread 2019-20

Discussion in 'Bluemoon forum' started by Chris in London, 14 Jun 2019.

1. richardtheref

richardtheref

I was once assistant referee at Newcastle V Sunderland U23s. Now normally at the end of the game the officials would be given a meal after the game. As we were getting changed, after the game, one of the Newcastle officials came in and asked if we would mind foregoing the meal as more press had attended the game than they thought and they obviously needed fed and watered.

2. SatOnTheWall

SatOnTheWall

Lock my door, I only think in Blue and white
    That's disgusting, Who are more important for a football match, the officials or reporters? I hope you told them to bog off and demanded your pudding, chips and gravy.

samarasra and BrianW like this.
  3. richardtheref

richardtheref

To be honest it did not bother me that night as I needed to be away sharpish. Newcastle would always pull this type of stunt.
    Compare that to Sunderland. I once did a pre season game at 10am for their u18s. As you arrive they would ask what you wanted at the end of the game. On this occasion I said not to bother as I had another game that afternoon. At the end of the game they left me a packed lunch

ADVERTISEMENT

4. Paladin

Paladin

I have similar experiences from my time as a referee / assistant.

In a youth game, the Everton kit man gave the ref and two linesmen new, good quality black football socks after the game. Great with our referees kits.

At Old Trafford after a reserve game, coach Jim Ryan shepherded his reserve players away from the referee and linemen after the game. He told them not to shake hands with us as we were scum.

After the same game, Brian Clough was on his team coach. He gave my wife and sister chocolate bars each whilst they waited for me.

Mal Donaghy played in a youth game for United, on his comeback after injury. He approached the referee and both assistants and thanked us individually for giving up our time that day to officiate at the game. Brian Robson and Lee Sharp also played. They completely ignored us.

5. IOWBlue

IOWBlue

I suppose it shows that there are decent people and cutns. You cant work out who though, by birth, family ,upbringing, race, etc

Paladin and cheekybids like this.
  6. Marvin

Marvin

I wonder if Washington's Human Rights Watch and the the Arab focused human rights groups feel their conscience prickling after America's racist underbelly was exposed to the world. One of the most divided nation's on Earth is home to charities who focus continual on the rights of people in the Middle East. These thing are important but if we really got into it, I think we'd find that our governments have created many of these nation states, and supported their regimes over many years. Today we see democracy exposed. The USA doesn't look too great and yet their charities and academics feel they have the right to shine the torch on the rest of the world.

7. Chris in London

Chris in London

Amazingly, Sky’s ‘sport is back’ promo features City in a very positive way.

I have to say, I rather enjoyed it.

8. SatOnTheWall

SatOnTheWall

Lock my door, I only think in Blue and white
    I don’t know this for sure, obviously, but I’d guess that City fans are the largest group of people that have cancelled their sly sports subscriptions. So I imagine there is an ulterior motive at play here.

9. Mike Cledford

Mike Cledford

Team supported:
    Man City
    Just over 35 years ago 56 Bradford City fans went not only to watch a match but to watch their team receive their league trophy. These 56 did not return. Most were fans who had followed their club through thick and thin for a long time. The media seemed to miss the anniversary year after year.
    I would like to draw Blue Mooners' attention to this sad event affecting fellow football fans.

10. Centurions

Centurions

Shining a torch always leaves the torch holder in the shadows Marvin, it's the Trump way don't you know.